Silicone Vegetable Steamer false bottom for BIAB

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RIT_Warrior

Reaction score
So I need a false bottom for my pot so I can do step mashing with BIAB, and I thought I'd use a silicone vegetable steamer. I have this one here:

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B001GBL9X4/?tag=skimlinks_replacement-20

I'm pretty sure it will keep the bag off of the bottom of the pot OK, but does anyone know if it will leech any colors/flavors? Has anyone tried anything like this before?

Thanks in advance!

Last edited by a moderator:
Silicone shouldn't melt/leech at mash temperatures. Just make sure it has a temp rating above 250. Silicone usually can go up to 450-600, so you should be okay.

I have to ask though, if you're brewing in a bag, why do you need the false bottom? To keep the bag off the bottom of the kettle? A drying/cooling rack or inverted collapsible metal steamer would do that. I installed legs on the steamer basket that came with my kettle.

All that said, if you want to know, the best way to find out is to try it and let us know!

Silicone shouldn't melt/leech at mash temperatures. Just make sure it has a temp rating above 250. Silicone usually can go up to 450-600, so you should be okay.

I have to ask though, if you're brewing in a bag, why do you need the false bottom? To keep the bag off the bottom of the kettle? A drying/cooling rack or inverted collapsible metal steamer would do that. I installed legs on the steamer basket that came with my kettle.

All that said, if you want to know, the best way to find out is to try it and let us know!

It does have a temp rating in the 400s, so I figured I would be OK, but I'm worried about how hot things get at the bottom of the pot. I mean, I use my paint strainer bag that I use for BIAB for a hops bag in the boil, so I'm sure it works up to 212, but if it touches the bottom of the pan I'm almost certain it will melt.

I think I'll submerge the steamer in water in a less valuable pot and boil the **** out of it...then drink the water after it has cooled to see if I can detect anything. I'll let everyone know how that goes.

I was looking for a good cake rack or something to use, but I couldn't find one that would fit in my pot. . I'm looking in brick&mortar stores as I'm worried I'll get the dimensions wrong if I get it online. I found a metal steamer, but it had a large plastic handle thing sticking out from the middle which would interfere with the bag.

The silicone steamer seemed like my best bet, and it wasn't expensive.

Back