Signs of LIFE

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Razorbrew

Reaction score
I was excited yesterday to see that some of my hops are pushing up through the mulch in my planters.This will be their second year of growing. Last year I had not completed my hop pergola, but they should have about 30 feet to grow this year. I have 12 plants of the C varieties going, so should make for a great Wet Hopped IPA.

DSC00311.jpg

DSC00312.jpg

This will also be 2 years for mine, and they just poked out this week as well. Did you get any cones last year?

I got a little shy of half a pound from each plant.

I checked my beds, but nothing yet. Of course there was about an 8" bare spot on one corner of my bed. The rest is covered by about a foot of snow... So I really didn't expect to see anything.

This will also be 2 years for mine, and they just poked out this week as well. Did you get any cones last year?

I got a little shy of half a pound from each plant.

I did get quite a few cones last year. However, I was so busy trying to build the pergola that I didn't harvest in time. :mad:

This year I plan on getting every last one! :mug:

I checked my beds, but nothing yet. Of course there was about an 8" bare spot on one corner of my bed. The rest is covered by about a foot of snow... So I really didn't expect to see anything.

Reminds me of last month. Those Big Square mounds between the posts are my hop planters. :)

DSC00274.jpg

Luckily, most of the yard is now uncovered and we are expecting warmish weather for a while. The beds sit right next to the house, and got kind of deep when I shoveled the snow off the roof. I am seriously thinking about shoveling the snow out of there so the sun can get it warmed up. But I'm afraid that the hops will sprout just in time for a spring freeze!

Wow! That is a lot of snow! The sun is getting stronger and stronger every day here in El Paso.

You know I wish I would have planted some of my hops where they get shade at least half the day. I was so worried about not enough sun from what I had read at the time and did not take into account where I live. Two of my plants I sometimes water twice a day so they can survive the sun. It seems that they love it though, as long as there is enough water.

I did get quite a few cones last year. However, I was so busy trying to build the pergola that I didn't harvest in time. :mad:
QUOTE]
This happened with my Chinook. Here where I live I noticed you have about a 4 day window to pick if not the heat completely dries them out. Which is what happened with my Chinook.

But yes this year I know what to expect, and I already have a vacuum sealer. :tank:

So your rhizomes survive under the ground in that snow? Or do you have to cover them with something?

So your rhizomes survive under the ground in that snow? Or do you have to cover them with something?

I have buds coming up in each of my planters. So I think I am going to be fine. Hopefully we won't have our usual hard freeze this month. I'll keep an eye on the weather and cover them if i need too.

Your pergola is awesome! I have had a few sprouts in St. Louis in my planters on 2nd year cascades. I am looking around to see if I should trim those down.

Your pergola is awesome! I have had a few sprouts in St. Louis in my planters on 2nd year cascades. I am looking around to see if I should trim those down.

Thanks! I am looking forward to using it this summer. It took me just about all of last summer to plane the beams from ruff cut oak and put it together.

I'm not going to cut mine back, but might need to cover them on frosty nights.

I'm even more impressed that you planed the wood yourself.
From what I gathered on other threads, cutting back isn't necessarily the way to go. Some enjoy good results and even growth from them, but you run the risk of stunting the growth if you aren't an experienced grower (like me.) Just protect them like you are, and then pick the best 3 to not trim back.
Here is a pdf about growing hops linked on another thread: http://www.crannogales.com/HopsManual.pdf
Here is what mine look like.
u3cnNn0SNJYibUFQ7uXq-HnmNkBoqMnz6XMktVTYbcs

I'm even more impressed that you planed the wood yourself.

There is a lumber mill about 40 miles from my house that sells rough cut oak for 50 cents a board foot in almost any dimension that you could want -- really the only way I could afford this project. And it was a great project for my son and I to work on this last summer.

Latest posts

Back