Signs of infection?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

fatfloyd

Reaction score
Hello guys, This is my first all grain batch of a Belgian strong golden ale. I started with a 1.070 OG and almost 3.5 weeks later a FG of 1.006. Used a white labs Abbey Ale yeast.

I used 7 pounds of row 2
5 pounds of castle pilsner
1 pound of white wheat.
1 pound of sugar.
.5 pounds of DME

I had very low efficiency, so I added 1 more cup of sugar and 1 pound of DME two days after fermentation started, which brought everything up to 1.070 according to my calculations.

Today I tasted my wort sample, and it gives a strong alcohol taste, does not feel sour for me, but could be hidden by the strong alcohol flavor. I was reading that such a low FG could be signs of infection, but the beer looks good. What do you guys think?

2014-04-22 16.18.12.jpg

2014-04-22 16.38.50.jpg

Does your OG of 1.070 include the sugar and DME added during fermentation?

Going from 1.070 to 1.006 is an apparent attenuation of over 91%, which is very high although possibly aided by the sugar addition.

Your beer does not look infected and if you don't taste anything off, you are probably fine. The alcohol taste is likely because your beer is pretty young and/or from too high a ferm temp.

Does your OG of 1.070 include the sugar and DME added during fermentation?

Going from 1.070 to 1.006 is an apparent attenuation of over 91%, which is very high although possibly aided by the sugar addition.

Your beer does not look infected and if you don't taste anything off, you are probably fine. The alcohol taste is likely from a fermentation temperature that was a little too high.

Yeah, 1.070 OG includes all fermentables. Temperature was a constant 68 F according to my fermometer sticker. Could the "hot" alcohol flavor settle while carbonating for a month? I am going to get this beer to my local Homebrew Club contest, just for fun, but I still want to deliver the best beer possible. I am planning on doing a 3.3 Vol/gal carbonation. Strong Belgian golden ales have the characteristic of being very clear. I added some whirflock on boil, but dont know if I should use some extra clarifying agents. If I am correct, the beer should get clearer while bottle conditioning right? I would do do a Cold crash, but the contest is 1 month away, And dont want to slow down the carbonation. Thanks for the help.

Yeah, the hot alcohol flavor should subside relatively quickly, your beer is still pretty young.

3.3 volumes of CO2 should be fine, but it's getting close to the danger area for standard brown bottles. I would keep the bottles in plastic bin, or garbage bag lined box, for safety and ease of clean up in case of eruption. BTW - This is a good practice for any bottle conditioning beer.

Congrats on your first AG.

Yeah, the hot alcohol flavor should subside relatively quickly, your beer is still pretty young.

3.3 volumes of CO2 should be fine, but it's getting close to the danger area for standard brown bottles. I would keep the bottles in plastic bin, or garbage bag lined box, for safety and ease of clean up in case of eruption. BTW - This is a good practice for any bottle conditioning beer.

Congrats on your first AG.

Thanks you very much! Really appreciate it! :mug:

Some of the yeasts I've used,like US-05,like to leave the beer slightly misty like that by bottling time. It's low/medium flocculation yeast anyway. But by 2-3 days in the bottles,it settles out crystal clear.

Latest posts

Back