Sign of watering too much?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ridenour64

Reaction score
Hey guys,

first year hop grower. The photos are examples of leafs that appear on several on my hop plants. Is this a sign that I’m watering too much? Should I cut these leafs off? If I do, and I cut back on watering, the plant should be ok I imagine?

Attachments

• 19095B99-E254-48A3-B7A0-ABCE2B2E6A04.jpeg
    19095B99-E254-48A3-B7A0-ABCE2B2E6A04.jpeg
    1.5 MB · Views: 87
  • 6CB35C1D-6777-42A4-82BA-641CC733A2A1.jpeg
    6CB35C1D-6777-42A4-82BA-641CC733A2A1.jpeg
    2.8 MB · Views: 83
  • 4806D2DD-813D-4A1C-A68B-5236A5A33051.jpeg
    4806D2DD-813D-4A1C-A68B-5236A5A33051.jpeg
    2.3 MB · Views: 77
I’m a first year grower too. I can’t help much other than ask what your soIl is composed of and how often you’re watering? My soil has good drainage from my sandy soil and airy outdoor potting mix with moderate retention from manure. I used a layer of mulch to help retain moisture longer and always do finger tests under the mulch a couple inches to check for moisture before watering. If it’s dryish down a couple inches I water. Dry spells I do deep waterings in conjunction with the temps and sun exposure. Before a hot day? Deep. After storms? Next days I do finger tests and do light watering until a hot day demands more. First years should be lightly watered and fertilized. Kept moist but not wet feet. It’s a touch and go. Basically less water is better in my opinion because you are establishing root system this year and you want those suckers to dig deep and spread in search of water.

Mine is a raised bed. To prep the soil I just added 15 bags of maneur compost from Lowe’s, and 2, 5 gallons buckets full of masonry sand to loosen up the dirt a little bit. I would say I have been watering every 3 days or so, and every 2 weeks I water with miracle grow. I think the dimension of the bed are about 21 x 6 feet and it drains very well.

It started to happen right after I put down the straw around the base of the plant, and that’s kept the ground really moist. I’ll probably remove the straw so ground can dry between
Watering.

Hmm sounds legit to me. I might keep the straw though, just adjust your watering to less, more efficiency. Surprisingly, I’ve watered only a handful of times since planting early March due to rain and my shorter sun exposure(6hours). Im a hands on learner so I swear by the finger test. Hopefully someone has seen this on their plants and can comment more. Good luck this year!

You water your hops? Mine get totally ignored. They fend for themselves.

I suppose I watered them when I first planted, but they're on they're own now.

I suppose it depends where you live. Out east watering might not be necessary. Here in Colorado it’s so dry that most varieties start to suffer after a couple days without watering, during peak season. When it does rain here, the pavement is usually bone dry within an hour. Let’s not even talk about the desert southwest.

Of course the various mildews are much less of a problem here because it’s so dry.

I suppose it depends where you live. Out east watering might not be necessary. Here in Colorado it’s so dry that most varieties start to suffer after a couple days without watering, during peak season. When it does rain here, the pavement is usually bone dry within an hour. Let’s not even talk about the desert southwest.

Of course the various mildews are much less of a problem here because it’s so dry.

I water mine roughly one gallon each day.... They seem to be doing very well!

I was using miracle grow per the directions and applying once a week. I was watering about every three days. I quit using miracle grow, and actually have been watering more frequently, and they seem to be doing a lot better.

chinook is growing very quickly, cascade is growing pretty good as well, but my Styrian Golding and Hallertau are lagging behind.

I was using miracle grow per the directions and applying once a week. I was watering about every three days. I quit using miracle grow, and actually have been watering more frequently, and they seem to be doing a lot better.

chinook is growing very quickly, cascade is growing pretty good as well, but my Styrian Golding and Hallertau are lagging behind.

I was planning on using Miracle Grow as I have plenty of it until I read these postings on it First Year Hop Growers

Then I read this The Radioactive Fertilizer Hoax | Hydroponics stating the warning made by the individual quoted was a hoax and that the person was trying to "demonize" inorganic fertilizers.

Never-the-less, I decided not to use Miracle Grow on my hop plants and instead alternate between blood meal and a seaweed mixture.

I’ve had a lot of success with miracle grow on Vegetables and other plants. I can’t even say for sure that it was the issue here, and if it was, it was probably that I was using it so frequently. Too many variables.

I also mixed 10-15 bags of manure compost in with the soil prior to planting so they likely had everything they needed already.

I can’t wait to see some cones! Although I know I won’t get much of anything this year.

My cascade already has tons of cones. No where even close to ripe. But still exciting! This was my Arcadian plant today. Flowers everywhere.
E07A6DA0-6F62-421E-BD25-A43E006394D1.jpeg

Back