Sight Glass Project

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Ya gotta watch those non supporting members ;-)

+1 Yep, after all, they are anonymous members, most of which use throwaway email addresses, and some come through proxy servers. This is a prime example, though it looks like it will turn out OK for all involved.

Caveat emptor

I told him that some people didn't receive their sight glasses and that he should check all his emails etc. The conversation is listed above. I was just trying to help out and happened to be on AIM.

I've still gotten nothing. No sight glass, no refund. Caveat emptor right?

I think the conversation stated "by weeks end". You have waited this long, giving him a few extra days isn't going to hurt anything.
Then again, I am not in your shoes and have no dog in this fight, so it is pretty easy for me to say wait a little longer though.
One thought I had while reading the conversation, and this is not directed at CrookedChris. If this guy is going through a tough time, it won't help matters any if he gets reamed by us if he decides to come back around. Especially if he really thought he had all orders covered and shipped.
Maybe he's blowing smoke, maybe he's not. But I know that when I went through a really ugly divorce several years back, all it would have taken was one more thing at that time and I would have stuck a gun barrel in my mouth! In this case, I would rather err on the side of caution.
Sounds like the last thing he needs right now is to feel like everyone is against him.... Just my $0.02 though....

I feel for the guy if he's going through some problems, but this line bothered me :
Moondogy42O: some people don't understand that life comes before HBT... thats why I won't sell anything on there any more
Would you not be pissed if you ordered something from walmart and paid and then received nothing or any contact, and got the response a month later of, "oh sorry things have been hectic". !

We all have life that comes before HBT. But He accepted people's Money in exchange for goods, THAT comes before his personal life as it is THEFT.

I realize that It was A_Lopez that said this and not the Seller. I feel for the guy. Rough times suck and I hope all gets back to normal for him. I was actually going to purchase a couple of these.

What's your all SS version Bobby? I plan on welding in and would like a T for temp probe. Your SS Version support this?

You can take what you want from this, but in the end, I helped fix the problem. Do you not understand that? I saw that the guy had an AIM name, found him online, and talked the problem through with him. It got him to respond to the issue and obviously he feels bad about it. I'm not gonna take flack for talking to this guy and helping people out.

I think it's great what you did for everyone here. I didn't mean to come off like that. I just didn't like the one comment. I apologize. It was a very nice thing you did for everyone. I honestly quoted thinking it was the seller that had said, that then edited names. Should have eliminated the whole quote. I just don't like excuses. People make them too often these days. Easier to make an excuse than own up. But again, Not directing this at you. You had nothing to own up to, I was thinking the seller had said that. Thanks again for helping the community.

I feel for both sides on this. Obviously, the most important thing is that people either get their sight glass or their money. Looks like people are gonna get both. At the same time, if this guy is really going through what he claims to be "movie deal" worthy, then I think some slack might be in order. I have tracked this thread since it became a "where's my sight glass" thread. Having talked to its02003 through a few PM's and in a few threads, he always SEEMED like a good guy.

I see people's morals in a very black and white manner. I think some people are good people and some people are bad people. If he were to be a "bad" person, why wouldn't he scam EVERY person that sent him money via paypal? If you are legitimately trying to steal people's money, why follow through on filling some orders and putting all the effort into building, shipping, emails, etc just to steal a few bucks from only 2 people. That just doesn't make sense.

I'm glad it worked out, and I don't take offense to any of this. Hopefully he can get his life on track and come back to our community. If he does, I'm going to welcome him back assuming he gets these issues straightened out. After catching as much flack as I have for my stir plates, I can feel for him in some manner as for the "neediness" of some of our members. That is what I was speaking of in the line you quoted. That doesn't justify him not filling orders.

I have people PMing me for my paypal info on a weekly basis for stir plates. The bottom line is that I'm not accepting money til the product is done, tested, and in a box for shipping.

Just wanted to bring this back to life for two reasons...Does anyone have some pictures of this or a similar setup that they could post for me? I'm concerned that it's going to be sticking too far out of the sidewall of the keg to be safe/efficient for me. Also, I'm wondering if anyone else experienced PTN's problems of bubbles clogging the sight glass tube. I've found a source for Borosilicate Glass Tubing but the largest I can get is 12mm. Will this be to small? I was hoping to go with 10mm but if it's going to be a problem I'll change. Or source tubing from somewhere else. (the first source is the Cynmar Catalog. Love that thing)

Some people seem to be having trouble with the narrow 1/8" ID but 3/8" also comes as a 1/4" ID.

If you're worried about the sight sticking out too far, the best solution is a dedicated elbow fitting. Are you trying to do it as weldless? I have some stainless locknuts on order that will complete a fully stainless weldless sight combo for less than $25. I doubt you'd be able to even source the parts cheaper than that.

Borosilicate or "pyrex" is great for this project but unless you have a protection shield in the plans, forget it. You'd snap the glass in short time, probably in the middle of a batch.

THis is sorta off topic. If you can't get the polycarbonate or pryex tube but still have the stainless steel fitting part. Do you see a problem with using clear flexible vinyl tubing as the sight glass on a boil kettle. Like replace the compression fitting with a nipple and attach with hoseclamp. And screw thru the tubing at the top into the top skirt to keep the flexible tubing tight and taunt.

You'll obviously need something that can take the high heat without failing. I don't know if a vinyl exists that can take boiling temps.

I guess its vinyl tubing. Whatever is at lowes and homedepot that can be bought by the foot. I currently use it from my boil kettle to my CFC. Without any problem.

Ill probably try it out as a sight glass. Won't look at great but should function all the same. Definately won't break as with pyrex and less a problem with polycarbonate. Then maybe upgrade when if I get more serious.

I was thinking that the borosilicate would be far superior to the polycarb because the polycarb get cloudy/scratched up...I was planning on making protectors, it's too much of a coincidence that all of my kettles came with long tubes of stainless steel that I don't know what to do with. (dip tubes). Maybe I should just order from somewhere...only problem was mcmasters only has the borosilicate in 12" lengths and if I order it from Cynmar I get 15 tubes for $15. I guess i could just have a bunch of replacements if they break, but I'm definately going PTN style then and putting in an emergency shutoff.

I originally wanted borosilicate glass sight tubes just because I don't like plastic and what it can leach into water/beer. I ended up with a polycarbonate tube and though I don't like the plastic it is nice that it flexes some, and won't break nearly as easily. I've put off making the sight glass protector and instead can work on other parts of the rig.

Don't get me wrong, I'm thrilled with my borosilicate sight glasses but yes, it was a major pain to build the protectors. What you'd be looking for is 12.7mm SIMAX (fits into a 1/2" compression fitting) and you'd want the cuts to be flamed polished to help prevent chipping. You'd jam the compression fitting with as many silicone orings as you could fit and carefully tighten it down.

Yeah I'm probably going to end up going polycarb, but I'll build the protectors for them anyways because
1) I"m a huge klutz
2) I can always just replace them with glass when I want to.

This thread reads like a soap opera. I drank a beer while reading and all I want to know now is what was the resolution. Is the seller alive? Did he commit suicide? Did his wife cheat on him. Moreover, what became of the people that did not get there sight glass? Someone update this!

Back