sight glass made from tubing

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Islandboy85

Reaction score
I have seen some people make sight glasses from tubing, so that's what I started. I ran into a problem though because I haven't been able to find any clear 1/2 in I'd tubing at a reasonable price that can withstand the temperature of a boil. What do you guys use for your hi temp tubing and where did you get it?

That was my original plan till my dick welder welded the fittings in so crooked I couldn't get the compression fitting to thread in :(

Does anyone know what the hard aquarium airline tubing is made from? I know you can get it in 3' lengths and up to 1/2" (maybe bigger, not sure) and it is dirt cheap.
tom

Aquarium tubing is acrylic. It will get really soft over 140F. You want polycarbonate.

Personally, I think I have the best sight glass kits available but of course I'm biased.

Yeah, in retrospect I would go with your weldless kit, but since I had it welded and didn't discover all the screw ups until about a week later when I had time to put the fittings on, it was a bit late...he's kiteboarding in South Padre till June...you really do get what you pay for.

Do some people use silicone tubing with hose barbs and clamps on the top and bottom?

It's pretty Mickey mouse, but I've done this myself on the old HLT. Tygon tube is difficult to calibrate (marker won't take. Vinyl won't stick well) but it does work. Clamped to a barb at the bottom. Piece of copper tube, smashed and folded into a hook at the top so it can be hooked up over the top lip of the keggle. Tube has to breath at the top, so don't smash it too efficiently!

+1 for Bobby_M kits! (waiting for full thermo kit restock)

Bobby's kit makes more sense to me than using silicone. Around here at least, silicone is going for $12/ft for 1/2" line.
1/2" silicone tubing is $2.10 a foot at Austin Homebrew. That's also way bigger than you need for a sight glass.

I use silicone tubing for sight glasses - 5/16" or 1/4" ID, whichever makes sense on a given fitting.
(Click for larger image)

My original motivation was that it was really cheap to install one on HLT/MLT - I just needed a 1/4" NPT right angle hose barb, an o-ring and locknut to install it through only the inner wall of the cooler, rather than using a long bulkhead to go through both walls. Since the tubing is flexible, I didn't have to carve out too much of the outer wall to snake the tubing out and up the side. General idea in this picture, albeit with a more elaborate fitting:
http://blog.eegeek.net/wp-content/uploads/2010/03/IMG_1601.JPG

I don't think it makes sense to try to put volume markings directly on the silicone - I put markings on the side of the vessel instead.

It's not nearly as slick as a nice clear rigid tube in a stainless compression fitting, but it gets the job done.

Cool! I thought that that tube was totally opaque. That is exactly what I am trying to build Funkenjaeger!!! I was thinking of either using the old dip tubes and cutting them, or perhaps just a piece of scrap angle aluminum extrusion to mark the level on. I think the dip tube, although more work, will serve me better.

Back