Side by Side

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Diver4life

Reaction score
So I found this awesome side by side fridge for free on craigslist. It did stink but after a bleach bath it wasn't so much rotten fish as it was a chemical assault on my nose but I know it's clean now. After gutting the shelves from the fridge and freezer I test fitted a keg in the freezer. If I can maximize my room I can fit 4 kegs in the freezer.

Side note - after scoring this fridge I searched the Google and found a reddit post using the exact same fridge turned into a kegerator and ferm chamber. Thanks u/zerochad!

After test fitting I cut the shelf space off the doors to add a little more room. Such a mess. After I cut the shelves I cut the water dispenser part out and made a wooden panel to fill the gap and filled all little gaps with great stuff foam insulation. Since the pic I have cut all excess insulation after it expanded.

During deconstruction I cut alot of wires. Since all I needed was the compressor and compressor fan to run when it gets plugged in the the STC 1000 I hard wired the plug to the compressor and fan. I have also reinstalled the freezer door.

I have done all this while my wife is in Ireland on vacation and I'm watching my two boys. Major stuff is done either during nap time or after bed time.

STILL TO DO:
Fill holes from screws with metal putty
Sand before paint
Paint with chalk paint.
Build keg shelves and carboy shelves.
Stain tap panel and install after fridge is painted.
Install both thermostats (STC 1000 for freezer side and brewpi for ferm chamber side)
Install fan that blows air from freezer to ferm chamber side.

Any help, cautions, tips, or ideas are greatly appreciated!

View attachment 1487958011812.jpg

View attachment 1487958021417.jpg

View attachment 1487958032492.jpg

View attachment 1487958046062.jpg

View attachment 1487958054572.jpg

View attachment 1487958061322.jpg

View attachment 1487958066803.jpg

I put both doors back on and made sure my "patch" is flat so when I get my nice stained piece it is as flush as possible legal

I wired up my old wine fridge kegerator (which would ice over the coils to fast since it's not ment to cool that low) stc1000. I built a box for it that is temporarily finished. I want to paint it but need to get this fridge done.

Instead of using a tiny desk fan I rewired the fan that's built into the freezer compartment since it obviously works since that's how they designed it.

To route the sensor and fan wiring I made a slit in the door seal and fed it through.

I get my nice 120mm ac pc fan to use to push air from freezer to fridge.

After that it's mainly cosmetic. I also need to buy a few straight beer shanks since my last kegerator was a tower style

View attachment 1487976220797.jpg

View attachment 1487976227619.jpg

View attachment 1487976234909.jpg

View attachment 1487976240659.jpg

Added the carboy shelf and routed the CO2. Wondering how I can mount my manifold. Scared to add it to the back wall but that's the only play I can since the mount I ng holes are angled and if I mount it to a side wall the kegs won't be able to get past the manifold and I really want to get atleast 3 taps

Got my fan in the mail. This thing was packaged nicely and feels very well put together. I made my lines that I needed to cut. I utilized the same spot that the previous fan was and just enlarged it. Well that turned out to be a pain. The plastic vent was secured in that spot well. Took a lot of muscle to get it out and I don't have a dremel so I had to use a razor blade to cut the plastic. Finally go it in and it blow air nicely

View attachment 1488064510818.jpg

View attachment 1488064517145.jpg

View attachment 1488064528572.jpg

View attachment 1488064537792.jpg

View attachment 1488064544762.jpg

https://youtu.be/hnRftEjmYDE

walk through. Got the paint. the tap and metal putty on the way. Gonna get everything set up and mark 2 extra holes but not drill them til I have the parts but I'm gonna finish the board. Please subscribe to my channel I know I'm just starting but new things gs to come!

So the tap panel is looking good with only two coats. I'm going to sand and see how it looks maybe another coat then it's onto the poly.

The fridge face only needs 1 more coat then just need to touch up the little nooks and crannies of the front then comes the decision of what to do with the sides I'm a huge WVU fan and was thinking of blue and old gold but I might just go chalkboard and then just go blue and yellow chalk.

Thoughts?

View attachment 1488567719223.jpg

View attachment 1488567726233.jpg

Quick little mock up before last coat of poly. Then going to mount and mark 3 holes for taps only gonna drill one since I only have 1 tap. Might take a while for the other 2 taps. But I'll have a precise mark to drill the hole. Soon gonna have it all painted and all taps in

View attachment 1488586066397.jpg

Latest posts

Back