Sick of extracts

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hopsalot

Reaction score
Im done opening thoes cans I want to do the real thing, but I am just lost. The process, where to get ingredients all of it, Im lost. Should I buy ingredients online or should I go to my local brew store? Once I have ingredients where do I start, What do I do with the malt, im used to opening a can and I know its not this boring. I just want to make a good beer from fresh ingredients so I can call it my own. So far the pale ale, IPA, and bock are extract brews from a box and I am tired of that. I know this is a broad question but if anyone has time to facilitate a young brewer it would be appreciated.

orfy has started a thread full o' useful links:
https://www.homebrewtalk.com//showthread.php?t=4099

before you get ingredients, you need AG brewing equipment. you can skimp on some of it (like grain bags instead of a mash/lauter tun...but you'll get better results with a real MLT).
a big brew pot (9 gallons or more), a burner to heat that much wort, and a wort chiller to cool it down.

You could go partial mash to start learning the process...but one PM for me and I knew AG was my calling.

hopsalot said:
Im done opening thoes cans I want to do the real thing, but I am just lost. The process, where to get ingredients all of it, Im lost. Should I buy ingredients online or should I go to my local brew store? Once I have ingredients where do I start, What do I do with the malt, im used to opening a can and I know its not this boring. I just want to make a good beer from fresh ingredients so I can call it my own. So far the pale ale, IPA, and bock are extract brews from a box and I am tired of that. I know this is a broad question but if anyone has time to facilitate a young brewer it would be appreciated.

Why don't you start a thread stating where you live and asking if someone in the area would invite you over to help them brew? It's a very easy process once you see it done, and there's a very good spirit of helping each other out on this board. I'm sure you'll find someone in your area or someone who knows someone in your area who'd love to have an assistant brew-master to have a few beers with and mash some grains.

Assistant Brew-Master.....bottling *****....same thing

JK

Whatever you do DON'T buy ingredients from the Toddy Shoppe.....place sucks!

Just order from austinhomebrew.com bc it's cheap and you'll get your stuff the next day

It sounds to me like you've been using prehopped extract; is that the case? If so, I would recommend making the small step to DME+specialty grains+hops before going to the full AG. This will get you familiar with some of the ingredients and more of the techniques you will need for AG. Many online retailers sell ingredient kits for these types of brews or you could check the recipe database and order the needed ingredients.

Once you have a few of these batches under your belt (like 2 or 3) the step up to AG won't seem so daunting.

One word: austinhomebrew

Get a PM kit and a big grain bag. The directions are very good.

Latest posts

Back