Show us your sculpture or brew rig

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
What a nice looking rig! The polish you've got on those kegs is impressive!

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

Here is my work in progress. I still need another pump eventually if I plan on fly sparging without gravity and I am getting ready to plumb the gas lines and igniters. ImageUploadedByHome Brew1403328258.604634.jpgImageUploadedByHome Brew1403328282.349562.jpg don't let the square fool you.ImageUploadedByHome Brew1403328459.888624.jpg

I will put up some better pics on brew day in a week.

Here's mine. SS slotted angle, double keggle, double burner, single pump. Works great for me as essentially a RIMS no sparge system.

1403457390583.jpg

1403457403083.jpg

1403457415782.jpg

Here's my 3-tier strut channel build, using 2 burners in a compact design. I gravity feed my HLT to my mashtun, gravity feed MT to BK, and then use my 1 pump to transfer thru a plate chiller.
ImageUploadedByHome Brew1403560429.287219.jpg
ImageUploadedByHome Brew1403560476.678278.jpg

Here's my 3-tier strut channel build, using 2 burners in a compact design. I gravity feed my HLT to my mashtun, gravity feed MT to BK, and then use my 1 pump to transfer thru a plate chiller.
View attachment 207310
View attachment 207311

How do you think this type of design would be with the SS slotted angle like reversemonk above? I assume it would work fine, but I don't think I've really seen any three-tier builds using it - they all seem to be single tier or two-tier.

Built this recently but unfortunately I'll be moving back to the states soon and won't be able to use it more than a few times. Eliminated the HLT, and was looking for a compact/automated design.

Shout out to Black Heart Brewery for inspiration and their downloadable control panel files.

10511141_751992198157450_2992992558939572342_n.jpg

10401866_751992251490778_436028101038279855_n.jpg

10487198_751992224824114_2542869994534828544_n.jpg

10369211_751992308157439_1809270704436143080_n.jpg

Built this recently but unfortunately I'll be moving back to the states soon and won't be able to use it more than a few times. Eliminated the HLT, and was looking for a compact/automated design.

Shout out to Black Heart Brewery for inspiration and their downloadable control panel files.

Omg this thing is a work of art do you have a build thread on this or even a vid if it brewing

Wow, I second the video request. That is an impressive rig! :mug:

Third, that is awesome. I think that's the first homebrew rig I've ever seen with a manway. Jealous.

Thanks for the positive feed back. I'm really in love with this machine, and thinking of possibly building a similar one (on a smaller scale) once I'm back in the US.

I've thought about making thread about the entire build process (I did take pictures through all stages), but haven't gotten around to that, and not sure when I will. Currently I'm in the process of selling my entire operation here, which is quite hard with the governments stance towards the dollar, and the peso in a downward spiral.

Out of curiosity, how fast do you turn that mash mixer? Adding one to my rig is on the "someday" list.

Wow! That thing is amazing! Looks like some old video arcade game, blast off! Please share a video in action.

Where is this? In you kitchen??? If so, HELL YEAH!!

Here is mine... Just got it back from my guys in the shop. They blasted and painted a high temp.
Don't judge me on the color :)
The used what they already had and it was free!

Now I just need to figure out casters for the bottom.

Here is mine... Just got it back from my guys in the shop. They blasted and painted a high temp.

ImageUploadedByHome Brew1404248373.454436.jpg

View attachment 208659

Ahhh! The old direct fire Igloo build!

I'm just gonna warn you now I'll be posting pics of my setup this weekend. Minus a few hose ends it's pretty much complete. But it ain't nearly as pretty as all of these builds on here.

Being a woodworker, I went that route. My rig is two tiers, but when rolled up to my kettle (sitting on the propane burner, which is sitting on the garage floor) it becomes a three tiered system. During the boil I clean up the coolers and stow them on the bottom shelf. Then when the boil is done, the kettle gets moved up to the tier two spot so it can drain down to the pump and then get pushed up through the convoluted counterflow chiller. I have brewed 4 or 5 batches on this and I love it!

17.jpg

Rig.jpg

Being a woodworker, I went that route. My rig is two tiers, but when rolled up to my kettle (sitting on the propane burner, which is sitting on the garage floor) it becomes a three tiered system. During the boil I clean up the coolers and stow them on the bottom shelf. Then when the boil is done, the kettle gets moved up to the tier two spot so it can drain down to the pump and then get pushed up through the convoluted counterflow chiller. I have brewed 4 or 5 batches on this and I love it!

So you lift a kettle of boiling hot wort to the second tier? Your build is nice and clean and it is also nice to see a clean garage floor. I see a lot of pics on here of brew systems in garages with dirt and leaves all over the place. :mug:

New addition to the family! need to secure the therminator, mount a second pump in the housing and add a second switch for the pump. This is a build from berrywise...

brewstand.jpg

ImageUploadedByHome Brew1404600796.587648.jpg

Finally got the stand painted and the natural gas line ran under the diamond plate. 15 gal HLT w/Hermes, 15 gal MT, 20 gal Bk (stout kettles). Next step is to automate, but that's down the road aways. Had show off the new setup!

ImageUploadedByHome Brew1404603137.727434.jpg another shot of the stand to see how blichmann burners and chugger pumps are attached, third gas line installed under mash tun if we ever decide go with 3 burners.

View attachment 209477 another shot of the stand to see how blichmann burners and chugger pumps are attached, third gas line installed under mash tun if we ever decide go with 3 burners.

I thot I recognized the manufacturer of those sexy kettles.

Lol, yea they're hot! Get little grief with living in the town that Blichmann builds theirs in... Oh well, I know what I like!

Mine? That is the configuration that pump was designed for. Bottom port aids in complete drainage after use...

Not exactly... Chugger and March pumps are designed to be mounted horizontally (motor axis parallel to ground). If you aren't having any cavitation issues with this setup it shouldn't be a problem, but this is not the recommended installation orientation.

Hmm, interesting. The product description on Amazon for the style of pump I actually have says: "Face unscrews and rotates at 90 degree intervals to adjust to your application. To restrict flow place a ball valve on the out flow of this pump. The center inlet port allows for easy draining and cleaning of the pump. Side inlets cost slightly less, but will allow wort and water to sit in the bottom of the pump and mold overtime. The center inlet makes it easy to clean and use. This is why you see the center inlet port pumps in use at all professional breweries."

I don't understand how the inlet being in the center is of any benefit unless the pump is oriented so that when the hoses are disconnected, liquid drains straight down out of the pump. Who knows? The good news is, I don't have any cavitation issues :)

Here is some more info posted by March:
https://www.homebrewersassociation.org/forum/index.php?topic=11157.0

Back