Show us your sculpture or brew rig

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Not a rig, more like a disorganized mess:

brewerysetup.jpg

Here's mine in use at 2008 Big Brew in Zanesville, OH at Weasel Boy Brewing

IMG_1788r.JPG

Different brew session showing CFC and cooling process.

IMG_9401.JPG

IMG_9410.JPG

Well, plumming is 99.9% done and TESTED. So far, looks good.

Just need a couple more high temp hoses and a couple more sets (I think 2) of quick disconnects. Once done, have to modify my brew keg burner as so to allow heat venting and then we are SET.

Finally getting around to start building a rig here. I started to brew beer and then we ran into some financial problems but am back again need to learn all over again. I have some extruded 2" square aluminum that I will use and it was free from a big slide saw from work that we scrapped. Hrer is what I have and also a commercially built unit which I am sort of copying fro except with 2 uprights.
BeginningofScupture.jpg

Brewsculpture.jpg

Here's mine in another thread

A wet, water only run to make sure all the connections worked, pumped correctly, and didn't leak. I'll post pics of the first brew session later this week, planned possibly Thursday.System15.jpg

Got my rig all set up tonight! Phooshopped in the HLT as thats this weekends project, Ill be using the same one as my MLT as it works fine (38 quart) and cheap for $19,95 at Target. Holes good stable temp for around 1 1/4 hours.
Brewsculpture.jpg

ok so I'm a newb.. I've only done one extract brew..

so what are the 3 different kegs for? I'm assuming it is only for all grain brewing.. but without thinking too hard I can't figure out what happens in each step..

can someone enlighten me?

Typically it's like this:

Top platform = HLT (Hot Liquor Tun = holds hot sparge water (gravity flow to MT)

Middle platform = MT (Mash Tun) = holds the mash (grain) (gravity flow to Boil Kettle.

Lowest Platform = BK (Boil Kettle = Where you boil the wort (gravity flow from MT)

That's the basic configuration. One of the first things you will notice with these systems and rigs is that it's rare to see identical setups. There are a lot of options if one wants to build an elaborate system which might include electronic automation with automatic temperature controls and such. Seems there's no limit sometimes.

It's not ONLY for all grain brewing. Any AG system can be used for extract batches. All you need is a boil kettle, a chiller and a fermenter for extract brewing and you would have that and a lot more.

ah thanks.. what I meant was, if you were doing extract, you wouldn't need the 3 kegs.. just a pot and heat:)

So the top keg is just water? how hot is that usually? and when that pours into the second, does it sit for a while, or just pour through?

and if I have it right, the middle station is the one that is like ~150 deg? meaning the top one is too? (trying to answer my own question)

and bottom, of course, needs to boil.

is that right?

Thanks,

ah thanks.. what I meant was, if you were doing extract, you wouldn't need the 3 kegs.. just a pot and heat:)

So the top keg is just water? how hot is that usually? and when that pours into the second, does it sit for a while, or just pour through?

and if I have it right, the middle station is the one that is like ~150 deg? meaning the top one is too? (trying to answer my own question)

is that right?

Thanks,

Just about like that. Although the top one can go up to 200 or even boiling, depending on the brewers method and purpose.

For extract, you could have boil kettle and then a gravity flow through a chiller to a fermenter.

The middle is usually between 150 and 158. The reason the top one can be up to boiling is when you do step mashes (mashes where you need to ramp up your temperatures.) Through a simple calculation you can add a set amount of boiling water from the top to achieve a certain rise in temperature in the middle.

is that right?

Thanks,

Yes, more or less. I'd like to suggest some reading for you. Check out John Palmer's "How to Brew". It's a free download or you can just buy the 2nd edition:

How to Brew - By John Palmer

John pretty much gives you the whole enchilada in his book and it's a good general handbook of brewing to have around. You will quickly understand the basics of brewing and then you can figure out how to configure your brewery. A word of caution though, it's not usually a short journey.

DSC_1422.JPG

made from my dogs kennel fencing. Since he didnt use it anymore I thought I might as well.

121.jpg

still have a couple water lines and a gas line to run, this rig has been in my garage for a year or so.

I joined this forum to figure out how to better my extract brewing. Then I found the DIY threads and I was like, I have to have one of these! So I talked the wife into the whole idea. I think that I've read every thread about brew stands, single tier, two tier, and three tier. Then I started finding parts for the build. My goal for this build was to do it right!

Just after sunset on the waters edge in NW Washington. the next day it went to get powder coated with high temp "traffic red".

CIMG0229.jpg

Its still not complete. I need to find another keg and then mod them. The wiring for the pumps and outlets (to plug in the laptop and what ever else I want). I'm waiting on a few parts to finish off the gas distribution.

DSCN3619.jpg

I would like to thank Bobby_M for all of his outstanding write ups and vids. the CFC is awesome, very fast with 58f tap water!

DSCN3620.jpg

DSCN3621.jpg

Here's my B3 1550 clone. I built it from uni-strut that my neighbors "found" at work. The pictures are kind of dark but it's all I have. I'll take some better pics tonight after I finish some mods.

stand3.jpg

stand23.jpg

I joined this forum to figure out how to better my extract brewing. Then I found the DIY threads and I was like, I have to have one of these! So I talked the wife into the whole idea. I think that I've read every thread about brew stands, single tier, two tier, and three tier. Then I started finding parts for the build. My goal for this build was to do it right!

Just after sunset on the waters edge in NW Washington. the next day it went to get powder coated with high temp "traffic red".

CIMG0229.jpg

Its still not complete. I need to find another keg and then mod them. The wiring for the pumps and outlets (to plug in the laptop and what ever else I want). I'm waiting on a few parts to finish off the gas distribution.

DSCN3619.jpg

I would like to thank Bobby_M for all of his outstanding write ups and vids. the CFC is awesome, very fast with 58f tap water!

DSCN3620.jpg

DSCN3621.jpg

Wow, that looks great. Nice, clean design! :mug:

Simple ten gallon electric heatstick basement brewery. 44 and 60 quart kettles not shown. Stand was
a wooden bunk bed that was cut up and repurposed into a brew stand. Window fan keeps humidity in
check during brewing, I do run the fan for a couple hours after the boil to air out the basement.Skateboard
aids in wheeling heavy kettles and kegs about the brewery.

HPIM0599.jpg

HPIM0600.jpg

I really like the pool table / multi use setup.
Looks very nice and compact.
Do you throw down a plastic floor pad or something or are you just so good you never spill anything?

I really like the pool table / multi use setup.
Looks very nice and compact.
Do you throw down a plastic floor pad or something or are you just so good you never spill anything?

Thanks KK, Bought the pool table from a vendor in Texas and picked up about 900 lbs of oak and slate at a freight dock, assembled and felted the table myself...bit of a challenge...but I think I did as well or better than the kids they send out from the local table place.

Sure I spill on the floor, water as that just dries up...a couple of drips of wort now and then that I stomp w/ a paper towel...brewing over carpet keeps you on your toes...it's really not hard once you are comfortable. It's just a basement w/ short pile nylon carpet...you can't kill that stuff. The carpet is another reason I don't use glass carboys...probably take 10 hours w/ a shop vac to rinse and vac 5 gallons.

Latest posts

Back