Show us your Mead in a photo!!!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I guess I need to get me some 1 gal jugs for fermenting smaller batches.
Careful. It's addictive
😂😂
20210301_205945.jpg

Healthy ferments can work wonders on your meads, practice traditionals and it can teach you alot about when/what to do during primary. That said, you can have that random batch just stay hazy with no flavor difference.

I hadn't brewed for ages, years in fact, so now I am back strong!

These are:
  • 10L Bochet made on the 1st of Feb, racked on the 28th of Feb
    • 5L racked as is
    • 5L racked on ~15g medium toast oak chips
    • will be racking again on the 1st of April (or the weekend following it) for a month before bottling
  • 5L of ginger+orange...metheglin? Made on the 1st of March, I used 200g of grated root ginger, boiled for ~10 mins with zest from 1 orange, then turned the heat off and dissolved 1.2kg of honey in it, strained, cooled down, pitched the yeast and made up to 5L. I'm frankly surprised it is still bubbling regularly as I used bread yeast - which I do with almost all my meads - I imagine the ginger root had plenty of nutrients and minerals to help the year. I had a quick sip of the unfermented must and despite using 200g of ginger it is not VERY hot, more like warming the throat, and very tasty. If it turns out dry I'll split, backsweeten some and carbonate some.
  • 12L sour cherry melomel, made on the 10th of March, racked off the fruit on the 18th (SG: 1.13, down to 1.040 on the 18th, still bubbling very regularly). For this one I bought Mangrove Jack M05 from a local brew shop, both for its supposed alcohol tolerance as well as esteric character.
  • 15L JAOM made last night bubbling very nicely with an hour of pitching.

Attachments

• IMG_20210323_091205.jpg
    IMG_20210323_091205.jpg
    3.6 MB · Views: 22
  • IMG_20210323_090738.jpg
    IMG_20210323_090738.jpg
    2.3 MB · Views: 25
  • IMG_20210323_091146.jpg
    IMG_20210323_091146.jpg
    3.1 MB · Views: 25
I hadn't brewed for ages, years in fact, so now I am back strong!

These are:
  • 10L Bochet made on the 1st of Feb, racked on the 28th of Feb
    • 5L racked as is
    • 5L racked on ~15g medium toast oak chips
    • will be racking again on the 1st of April (or the weekend following it) for a month before bottling
  • 5L of ginger+orange...metheglin? Made on the 1st of March, I used 200g of grated root ginger, boiled for ~10 mins with zest from 1 orange, then turned the heat off and dissolved 1.2kg of honey in it, strained, cooled down, pitched the yeast and made up to 5L. I'm frankly surprised it is still bubbling regularly as I used bread yeast - which I do with almost all my meads - I imagine the ginger root had plenty of nutrients and minerals to help the year. I had a quick sip of the unfermented must and despite using 200g of ginger it is not VERY hot, more like warming the throat, and very tasty. If it turns out dry I'll split, backsweeten some and carbonate some.
  • 12L sour cherry melomel, made on the 10th of March, racked off the fruit on the 18th (SG: 1.13, down to 1.040 on the 18th, still bubbling very regularly). For this one I bought Mangrove Jack M05 from a local brew shop, both for its supposed alcohol tolerance as well as esteric character.
  • 15L JAOM made last night bubbling very nicely with an hour of pitching.
What are you trying to achieve with all the racking?

What are you trying to achieve with all the racking?

I guess you mean about the Bochets and melomel?

That's what I've always done with Bochet: rack after 1 month in primary, then rack after 1 month in secondary, and bottle at three months from starting. As I use bread yeast I do this for clearing as I don't have space for cold crashing, and don't want to use clearing agents. Always came out crystal clear. Plan to do the same with the ginger mead.

With the melomel, which is my first time making, I just didn't want it to sit on the fruit for longer than a week, so the plan is to rack to secondary once bubbling has stopped or a month has passed (so 18th of April), whichever comes first.

I guess you mean about the Bochets and melomel?

That's what I've always done with Bochet: rack after 1 month in primary, then rack after 1 month in secondary, and bottle at three months from starting. As I use bread yeast I do this for clearing as I don't have space for cold crashing, and don't want to use clearing agents. Always came out crystal clear. Plan to do the same with the ginger mead.

With the melomel, which is my first time making, I just didn't want it to sit on the fruit for longer than a week, so the plan is to rack to secondary once bubbling has stopped or a month has passed (so 18th of April), whichever comes first.
Do yourself a favour and switch to a better yeast in combination with a modern nutrient protocol. Tosna 3.0 is probably the best out there at the moment. If you do so, skip the racking (unless for a reason, like to get it off the fruit or oak). Racking does nothing for clearing, it is meant to be used against off flavours from dead yeast but with modern protocols, this won't happen even after months.

Your meads will be ready quicker, taste better and clear better!

Do yourself a favour and switch to a better yeast in combination with a modern nutrient protocol. Tosna 3.0 is probably the best out there at the moment. If you do so, skip the racking (unless for a reason, like to get it off the fruit or oak). Racking does nothing for clearing, it is meant to be used against off flavours from dead yeast but with modern protocols, this won't happen even after months.

Your meads will be ready quicker, taste better and clear better!

Cheers, I've been somewhat lazy with planning as I've had results I've been very happy with so far. Me and my wife are not even real drinkers, I realise I have now 40L of stuff bubbling away and no idea when they'll be drunk, an instant cellar of sorts. Nevermind, when these batches are done and bottled I'll take a closer look at the process.

Cheers, I've been somewhat lazy with planning as I've had results I've been very happy with so far. Me and my wife are not even real drinkers, I realise I have now 40L of stuff bubbling away and no idea when they'll be drunk, an instant cellar of sorts. Nevermind, when these batches are done and bottled I'll take a closer look at the process.
Brewing for the brewings sake... Sounds familiar :D

From all the mead I made,I probably drank 2 % up until now :D

Luckily it usually gets even better with time.

Exactly, and can be gifted too :)
I thought so when making it but a lot of it was on the experimental side so the result is not nice enough for the average taste. Now I've put them underneath the roof and open a bottle now and then to see how they develop. Some of them might get there, but some are really .... Let's say interesting. Especially the wild mead :D

3 gallons of Acacia Rose BOMM, 1 gallon of cranberry concord grape BOMM, 1 gallon of apple, peach, mango BOMM

Attachments

• Resized_20210523_012142_8004.jpeg
    Resized_20210523_012142_8004.jpeg
    1.1 MB · Views: 6
  • Resized_20210523_012230_9982.jpeg
    Resized_20210523_012230_9982.jpeg
    1.1 MB · Views: 6
  • Resized_20210523_012209_205.jpeg
    Resized_20210523_012209_205.jpeg
    1.1 MB · Views: 4
Started this to "re-season" myself and needed to start one to consume next year. Now I can be a stickler for JAOM when people substitute yeast or nutrients and the like, as far as I go it's not a JAOM, or a BOMM, when you start doing your own thing. So I will say, in full confidence, this is not a JAOM... 😭 because I don't have any balloons anymore... Oh well, I'm learning to let things go and relax so here's 6 gallons of a Spiced Orange Melomel, "JAOM."
IMG_20210602_150944129.jpgIMG_20210602_150957382.jpgIMG_20210602_150612923.jpg

My modified JAOM....aka...DABOM. (JAOM spices with blood oranges, no pith, but, 1/2 of the zest, 5 different kinds of honey. The other half of the zest is in the freezer in case I want more orange flavor.) This is finished @ 1.014 & delicious. I'll rack to glass carboys to bulk age for a while before I bottle.
20210610_013235.jpg

Attachments

• 20210610_013747.jpg
    20210610_013747.jpg
    834.4 KB · Views: 6
My modified JAOM....aka...DABOM. (JAOM spices with blood oranges, no pith, but, 1/2 of the zest, 5 different kinds of honey. The other half of the zest is in the freezer in case I want more orange flavor.) This is finished @ 1.014 & delicious. I'll rack to glass carboys to bulk age for a while before I bottle. View attachment 731864

I know a picture in the fermenter is not totally indicative of how the finished product will look in the bottle, but that is a beautiful color on that mead! Is that from the honey or the oranges?

I know a picture in the fermenter is not totally indicative of how the finished product will look in the bottle, but that is a beautiful color on that mead! Is that from the honey or the oranges?
Thank you.
I used blood oranges & it took a lot of the color from them.. It used to be a deeper red, but, the red has faded some since the day it was made.

20210601_192337.jpg

My first three meads. A traditional JAOM down to bread yeast, original water bottle and balloon for an air lock. The second is a Jaobommish with D47 yeast. The third is a BOMM with Lellemand Abbaye Belgian yeast. They were started Memorial Day. This picture was taken on day two or three.

View attachment 732012
My first three meads. A traditional JAOM down to bread yeast, original water bottle and balloon for an air lock. The second is a Jaobommish with D47 yeast. The third is a BOMM with Lellemand Abbaye Belgian yeast. They were started Memorial Day. This picture was taken on day two or three.
I'm sure the wife loves to see mead on the bathroom sink 🤣 🤣

Bottled my Blood Orange JAOM hybrid last night. Finished @ 1.014 & tastes almost identical to a JAOM, but, just not as sweet. Very pleased with how this came out, 15.88%. Yielded 1 growler and 17 Grolsch bottles out of 3 gallons. Not too shabby, I think. Gonna be a happy 4th🇺🇸💥🎆🧨

Attachments

• 20210610_013128.jpg
    20210610_013128.jpg
    740.8 KB · Views: 8
  • 20210701_163056.jpg
    20210701_163056.jpg
    963.3 KB · Views: 8
Last edited:
Bottled my Blood Orange JAOM hybrid last night. Finished @ 1.014 & tastes almost identical to a JAOM, but, just not as sweet. Very pleased with how this came out, 15.88%. Yielded 1 growler and 17 Grolsch bottles out of 3 gallons. Not too shabby, I think. Gonna be a happy 4th🇺🇸💥🎆🧨

Be aware that a JOAM improves drastically with time. Out of the fermenter it's all orange and clove. With time the clove fades and the orange takes on a wonderful bouquet. At 8-10 months it's a different mead.

Be aware that a JOAM improves drastically with time. Out of the fermenter it's all orange and clove. With time the clove fades and the orange takes on a wonderful bouquet. At 8-10 months it's a different mead.
Yes, I'm aware of this, thank you @Maylar. This is delicious right now, but I will be tucking a bunch of those bottle away for the 1 year mark to see how much it has changed.

This is the quad berry BOMM that I made the 1/2 gallon of. Started as a 3 gallon batch of BOMM, then racked 1/2 gallon onto a 12 oz bag of frozen mixed fruit, (raspberries, blueberries, blackberries and strawberries) for 2 weeks. Racked off of that fruit onto another bag of the same mix for an additional week. FG 1.018. Berry tartness balances perfectly against the residual sweetness from the honey & bags of fruit. I'm really stoked about how this came out. I love this hobby!
EDIT.... I went back & checked my notes. The FG is 1.018, not 1.014.
Rasp, blkberry, blueberry  & strawberry .jpg

Last edited:
^^ is that all you ended up with from the initial 1/2 gal? LOL 😂
Haha, no. I have a few people that I give samples to, (in those 5 0z. Hot sauce bottles). Today was sample day for the people I work with & I forgot to take a picture before I left the house. It's enough for 1 glass🍷. Just enough to get them hooked into wanting more😈😋 , but, not enough to get in trouble with.😂 Gotta keep 'em interested, ya know?

This is the quad berry BOMM that I made the 1/2 gallon of. Started as a 3 gallon batch of BOMM, then racked 1/2 gallon onto a 12 oz bag of frozen mixed fruit, (raspberries, blueberries, blackberries and strawberries) for 2 weeks. Racked off of that fruit onto another bag of the same mix for an additional week. FG 1.014. Berry tartness balances perfectly against the residual sweetness from the honey & bags of fruit. I'm really stoked about how this came out. I love this hobby! View attachment 734789

Did you backsweeten to get that FG or did it naturally finish there?
It looks amazing!

Back