Show us your Mead in a photo!!!

HomeBrewTalk.com - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Community.

Help Support Homebrew Talk:

Kyzaboy89

Reaction score
Healthy ferments can work wonders on your meads, practice traditionals and it can teach you alot about when/what to do during primary. That said, you can have that random batch just stay hazy with no flavor difference.

karamonde

Reaction score
I hadn't brewed for ages, years in fact, so now I am back strong!

These are:
  • 10L Bochet made on the 1st of Feb, racked on the 28th of Feb
    • 5L racked as is
    • 5L racked on ~15g medium toast oak chips
    • will be racking again on the 1st of April (or the weekend following it) for a month before bottling
  • 5L of ginger+orange...metheglin? Made on the 1st of March, I used 200g of grated root ginger, boiled for ~10 mins with zest from 1 orange, then turned the heat off and dissolved 1.2kg of honey in it, strained, cooled down, pitched the yeast and made up to 5L. I'm frankly surprised it is still bubbling regularly as I used bread yeast - which I do with almost all my meads - I imagine the ginger root had plenty of nutrients and minerals to help the year. I had a quick sip of the unfermented must and despite using 200g of ginger it is not VERY hot, more like warming the throat, and very tasty. If it turns out dry I'll split, backsweeten some and carbonate some.
  • 12L sour cherry melomel, made on the 10th of March, racked off the fruit on the 18th (SG: 1.13, down to 1.040 on the 18th, still bubbling very regularly). For this one I bought Mangrove Jack M05 from a local brew shop, both for its supposed alcohol tolerance as well as esteric character.
  • 15L JAOM made last night bubbling very nicely with an hour of pitching.

Attachments

Miraculix

Reaction score
I hadn't brewed for ages, years in fact, so now I am back strong!

These are:
  • 10L Bochet made on the 1st of Feb, racked on the 28th of Feb
    • 5L racked as is
    • 5L racked on ~15g medium toast oak chips
    • will be racking again on the 1st of April (or the weekend following it) for a month before bottling
  • 5L of ginger+orange...metheglin? Made on the 1st of March, I used 200g of grated root ginger, boiled for ~10 mins with zest from 1 orange, then turned the heat off and dissolved 1.2kg of honey in it, strained, cooled down, pitched the yeast and made up to 5L. I'm frankly surprised it is still bubbling regularly as I used bread yeast - which I do with almost all my meads - I imagine the ginger root had plenty of nutrients and minerals to help the year. I had a quick sip of the unfermented must and despite using 200g of ginger it is not VERY hot, more like warming the throat, and very tasty. If it turns out dry I'll split, backsweeten some and carbonate some.
  • 12L sour cherry melomel, made on the 10th of March, racked off the fruit on the 18th (SG: 1.13, down to 1.040 on the 18th, still bubbling very regularly). For this one I bought Mangrove Jack M05 from a local brew shop, both for its supposed alcohol tolerance as well as esteric character.
  • 15L JAOM made last night bubbling very nicely with an hour of pitching.
What are you trying to achieve with all the racking?

karamonde

Reaction score
What are you trying to achieve with all the racking?
I guess you mean about the Bochets and melomel?

That's what I've always done with Bochet: rack after 1 month in primary, then rack after 1 month in secondary, and bottle at three months from starting. As I use bread yeast I do this for clearing as I don't have space for cold crashing, and don't want to use clearing agents. Always came out crystal clear. Plan to do the same with the ginger mead.

With the melomel, which is my first time making, I just didn't want it to sit on the fruit for longer than a week, so the plan is to rack to secondary once bubbling has stopped or a month has passed (so 18th of April), whichever comes first.

Miraculix

Reaction score
I guess you mean about the Bochets and melomel?

That's what I've always done with Bochet: rack after 1 month in primary, then rack after 1 month in secondary, and bottle at three months from starting. As I use bread yeast I do this for clearing as I don't have space for cold crashing, and don't want to use clearing agents. Always came out crystal clear. Plan to do the same with the ginger mead.

With the melomel, which is my first time making, I just didn't want it to sit on the fruit for longer than a week, so the plan is to rack to secondary once bubbling has stopped or a month has passed (so 18th of April), whichever comes first.
Do yourself a favour and switch to a better yeast in combination with a modern nutrient protocol. Tosna 3.0 is probably the best out there at the moment. If you do so, skip the racking (unless for a reason, like to get it off the fruit or oak). Racking does nothing for clearing, it is meant to be used against off flavours from dead yeast but with modern protocols, this won't happen even after months.

Your meads will be ready quicker, taste better and clear better!

karamonde

Reaction score
Do yourself a favour and switch to a better yeast in combination with a modern nutrient protocol. Tosna 3.0 is probably the best out there at the moment. If you do so, skip the racking (unless for a reason, like to get it off the fruit or oak). Racking does nothing for clearing, it is meant to be used against off flavours from dead yeast but with modern protocols, this won't happen even after months.

Your meads will be ready quicker, taste better and clear better!
Cheers, I've been somewhat lazy with planning as I've had results I've been very happy with so far. Me and my wife are not even real drinkers, I realise I have now 40L of stuff bubbling away and no idea when they'll be drunk, an instant cellar of sorts. Nevermind, when these batches are done and bottled I'll take a closer look at the process.

Miraculix

Reaction score
Cheers, I've been somewhat lazy with planning as I've had results I've been very happy with so far. Me and my wife are not even real drinkers, I realise I have now 40L of stuff bubbling away and no idea when they'll be drunk, an instant cellar of sorts. Nevermind, when these batches are done and bottled I'll take a closer look at the process.
Brewing for the brewings sake... Sounds familiar :D

From all the mead I made,I probably drank 2 % up until now :D

Luckily it usually gets even better with time.

Miraculix

Reaction score
Exactly, and can be gifted too :)
I thought so when making it but a lot of it was on the experimental side so the result is not nice enough for the average taste. Now I've put them underneath the roof and open a bottle now and then to see how they develop. Some of them might get there, but some are really .... Let's say interesting. Especially the wild mead :D