Show us your Kegerator

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
JWBC said:
Wow, that is a lot of information to take in and drool over. Just curious if anyone has taken a side by side fridge and turned the freezer into a fermentor and the fridge part to a kegerator? I am working on the kegerator that was approved by the SWMBO for the house but want one in my garage and I am limited on space in the garage and want to add kegerator and fermentor.

It's has been done with the freezer being the kegorator and the fridge being a fermentation fridge. On side by sides the freezer portion sends air to the fridge portion, so the fridge side will always be warmer than the freezer side.

Wow, that is a lot of information to take in and drool over. Just curious if anyone has taken a side by side fridge and turned the freezer into a fermentor and the fridge part to a kegerator? I am working on the kegerator that was approved by the SWMBO for the house but want one in my garage and I am limited on space in the garage and want to add kegerator and fermentor.

You're looking for this page...

Just got mine finished. Very simple, but it gets the job done.

ForumRunner_20120305_174559.jpg

@agodfrey11 - I was actually thinking that it had to be that way but I was talking to one of our engineers today, I work for a cold storage, and he was saying that it should be able to be done by controlling the expansion valves but that is way out of my knowledge. Maybe I should give him some brew and have him figure it out for me but they deal mostly with ammonia not Freon but apply the same principles

@Hang Glider - The link didn't take me anywhere.

Thanks both for your help, if any one else has an idea let me know.

By the way, I may have been not think on Sunday because today when i tried re-searching the web I get a lot of information. Maybe it was because I didn't have any brew in me!

Hi. How is that drip tray attached? I used magnets because I was afraid that cooling lines likely ran behind the front skin and didn't want to drill there.

Thanks.

Built my first one today!

Used the Costco Haier 7.1cu freezer, johnson controls temperature regulator and Kegco faucets and shanks

IMG_20120217_172234.jpg

In that photo I was using double sided "Heavy Duty" 3M tape. It looked great, but unfortuantely it failed after only a few hours.

It is currently held on with "industrial strength" velcro. The velcro does not look as good because it does not hang perfectly level since it is thicker and "gives" a little.

I might try the 3M tape again and give it longer cure before letting it hold any weight. The package said it could hold up to 10 pounds.

Hi. How is that drip tray attached? I used magnets because I was afraid that cooling lines likely ran behind the front skin and didn't want to drill there.

Thanks.

If that was true you'd be cooling the air outside your freezer. It is good to be cautious, but I can't see how any would run right behind the skin. I drilled two holes for mine but did not put much pressure on the drill so it didn't burst through and hit anything behind it. I then check the hole before inserting any screws.

I have lurked around here for a while, and the information on this forum is excellent. I built a pretty standard keezer using a 7.0 cf GE chest freezer and the various guides on this forum. I think it turned out pretty nicely. Here it is!

I still need to setup a fan to even the temperature difference between top and bottom (which sits around 20-30 degrees with no fan). Temporarily, I put a small fan inside just to see what kind of airflow is necessary, and it brought it almost even top to bottom and it is virtually silent from the outside with the lid shut.

I set it up for two, but this could easily hold four pin locks in the future. Or two pinlocks and a 6.5 gallon carboy, which is what I plan to do for now.

I don't think it will hold four pinlocks. Mine will barely fit four ball locks, and that is with a lot of squeezing. It will probably hold three pinlocks, though.

Our kitchen fridge started putting a funky taste in our ice and even after cleaning, the weird taste persisted. I took advantage of the opportunity and bought my wife a new side by side and converted the old one to a kegerator for my garage. The fridge still works great and since all the beer is sealed, no worries about that funky taste. I love it!!

DSCF6576small.jpg

DSCF6577small.jpg

4 Kegs in the Haier 7.1cu from Costco ($174)

IMG_20120308_175822.jpg

some tap handle pr0n

426349_703992860926_42501654_34191222_213127265_n.jpg

Need one more, not sure what I want yet, but my favorite by far is my Polar Bear (Favorite animal) from Alaska brewing.

Agentaaron said:
Here are a couple pictures of the new one I built this weekend...pretty much another shameless Jester rip-off, but I am damn proud of myself for building it with only two saws and a drill in my possession :mug:

I still need to figure out something for the chest part...

Few more photos here

I like that alot! I immediately thought about a sliding fabric/curtain for the cabinet. Mount a rod or track under the edge, have it slide from left to right so it's out of the way when you open it. That way no worry about overheating?

2BeerSpeer said:
Very Nice! What size is that freezer and how far apart are the taps? Got a pic of the inside?

Thanks 2Beer. Not bad for a $40 Craigslist find?!?!?

It's an 18 cubic foot. It could fit 13 ball locks if you built a taller collar. My collar was made from a 1x6. I keep 2 on the hump "on deck" and they fit fine without the disconnects. Nice for letting some carboys cold crash too.

The taps are 4 5/8ths apart on center. And there's plenty of room for any type of tap handle.

I have some pictures of the inside on page 216 of this thread. I hope that helps as I do not have any current picks of the interior. But you can see it's size from the cutouts.

joety said:
Holy Schneikies, are you quitting your job to keep that thing full of beer?

Hhahhhhaaa! Well Joety it is something I'm seriously considering, but I keep a pretty strong pipeline going and I usually do 5 different 5 gallon all grain batches on every brew day which is at least once per month. I've actually done 60 gallons in one day... 6 all grain 10 gallon batches.... Long day.

I still hate when I pull that handle and the keg blows it's last pint.

i just spent entirely too much money on hardware... going to be assembling everything in the upcoming weeks... should be pretty, to say the least

Howie said:
Dear lord.

How long does that take?

What is your system like?

It's an all day deal. I get all my water ready the night before. I'll set my alarm for early, like 5am early, go to the stove and start heating my water, go back to bed for a little. Then lots of heavy lifting. I'll have one mashing while one is boiling and another chilling to pitching temps. So I just keep leapfrogging them the whole day. I have a 15 gallon brew pot, a 10 gallon tun, and a 9 gallon turkey fryer that I use for heating water along with pretty much every other pot I can fit on my stove. Best part is I only have to clean up once.

Its nothing special but its mine. I am going to be adding 3-4 more taps in the next month or so. I was able to adjust the freezer temp using the coarse adjustment so i did not have to buy a temperature controller.

IMG_0457.jpg

IMG_0458.jpg

IMG_0459.jpg

IMG_0460.jpg

Well, you'll have the hardware forever. Mine is on it's second keezer and still like new.

i'm going for a 7 cu ft chest freezer with custom top. dual regulator setup (1 pressure for carbing, 1 for serving) total capacity of 6 ball locks, 2 carbing, 3 homebrewed, 1 microbrew/commercial. digital temp control,

4 perl faucet taps, stainless steel hardware, plan on playing with some copper flashing for decoration, wood stain and trim etc..

i'm sure i'll make a build thread when i get it all started, now its just the waiting game of waiting for all the parts to come in.

joety said:
I'm glad somebody asked. I feel like a ******* spending 8 hours to do one ten gallon batch.

8 hours? Man that's a long time. I would say my first batch is sealed up in primary in about 4 hours start to finish. Maybe a little longer, but not much.

Small 5 cubic ft keezer- had to go small, I don't have a lot of room for something larger. It fits 3 kegs, currently have 2 on co2 and plan on adding nitrogen for a tap in the center. I drilled and plugged the center tap hole so I have no choice but to add on!

100_0771.jpg

100_0772.jpg

You got some serious plumbing started there... if you finish the drain line and add a water tap you could wash glassware and brewing equipment right there. :mug:

guess i can throw mine up finally!

just a quick and dirty 2x4 setup to get the taps up for st patricks day. the normal collar is in the works!

IMAG0672.jpg

Stainless perlicks were only 34 dollars locally as well! today was a good day...

Small 5 cubic ft keezer- had to go small, I don't have a lot of room for something larger. It fits 3 kegs, currently have 2 on co2 and plan on adding nitrogen for a tap in the center. I drilled and plugged the center tap hole so I have no choice but to add on!
what did you use for a drip tray?

It's from a soft serve ice cream machine a friend didn't need. I glued a piece of wood with countersunk screws facing out to the side of the freezer. The holes in the tray line up and I use wing nuts for easy on & off for cleaning until I get the plumbing hooked up.

It's from a soft serve ice cream machine a friend didn't need. I glued a piece of wood with countersunk screws facing out to the side of the freezer. The holes in the tray line up and I use wing nuts for easy on & off for cleaning until I get the plumbing hooked up.

Ha homebrewing ingenuity! :mug:

guess i can throw mine up finally!

just a quick and dirty 2x4 setup to get the taps up for st patricks day. the normal collar is in the works!

IMAG0672.jpg

Stainless perlicks were only 34 dollars locally as well! today was a good day...

I notice you have a faucet wrench handy. Do you remove your faucets often?

Back