Show us your Kegerator

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Here is the upgrade guys... I told you it was going to be cool:

Yeah, that is pretty cool, I guess. But Corona makes a lite beer? When did this happen? I mean, I like Corona, but they're just a little bit too rich and full bodied for my sophisticated palate. A Corona Lite would be perfect!

Just finished mine over the holidays. There should be two kegs for drinking by the weekend.

I used the Lowes 7cuft with a 9" collar and a kit from Keg Connection. If I move the CO2 outside I can fit five ball-locks or four with the CO2 inside. My collar build was kept simple due to lack of tools and skills. I didn't want the callar attached to the lid, partly for weight on the hinges but mostly so I wouldn't have to space it way off the wall. The doors on the front mean I get the best of both worlds; I keep the collar on the freezer body and I don't have to lift the kegs and extra 9".

DSC015931.JPG

DSC015941.JPG

Bowtie, that thing is beautiful! Did you buy that new or get a deal on it used?!?

I bought it brand spanking new... It is one that is sold by Micromatic... Something like $1,300 new... I got it for $350! Hehehe

Yeah, that is pretty cool, I guess. But Corona makes a lite beer? When did this happen? I mean, I like Corona, but they're just a little bit too rich and full bodied for my sophisticated palate. A Corona Lite would be perfect!

Damn, I knew I was going to get busted on this one...
Story goes like this... I was doing this project, was thirsty didnt want a "beer" but didnt want to go upstairs to get a glass of water... this was clearly the best option for the lazy man...

Couple updated pics of Keezer 1.5
Overal showing bottom trim and temp controller.
100_9981.JPG

Closeup of the updated tap box. Bars on left will be mounted on the front for towel bars and lifting the lid when needed.
100_9982.JPG

And Pondering the new year over a pint :D
100_9877.JPG

Keezer 2.0 will have a surround over the white part. But I am pleased with it until the bar and Electric brewery gets built and finished.

More additions to my keezer, its starting to look really good. :rockin:

Painted up some door stops for beer tap handles. Still need to make up some colour name tags and laminate them but this will do for now. $5 ea from Bunnings.

DSCF3367-1.jpg

DSCF3373.jpg

Yeah the clicker is just a counter that I'm toying with and seeing if its handy for counting pots poured.

The towel on top is just a piece of terry towelling that I bought from the fabric shop to use as a bar runner on top. Pour a beer, sit it on the drip tray and wipe the bottom on the towel so you dont drip beer everywhere.

i have a normal fridge with a freezer on top. can i just cut the barrier out so i can have room for my kegs and be able to put fermenting lagers in as well. if someone has already done this, let me know all the steps you took.

pray with me guys.... I just drilled the hole in my fridge, and I may have skimmed something it looks like, but the fridge is still turning on and sounds normal so I am terrified I wrecked it..... hopefully its fine and i can show it to you guys in a day or so

Im praying to the beer gods for salvation

i have a normal fridge with a freezer on top. can i just cut the barrier out so i can have room for my kegs and be able to put fermenting lagers in as well. if someone has already done this, let me know all the steps you took.

You shouldn't have to cut out the barrier to fit kegs in there, it's tall enough already. I have a 3/4 size fridge, and it fits 5 corny kegs with enough clearance up top to switch around the QDs.

DSCF0200.JPG

Here is the shell of what I am working with. I would like some ideas and interest into some possibilities of what I could turn this old school bad boy into. It is a 1950's "Kelvinator" chest freezer that can hold 2 cornys with out a collar and 4 with a collar. Ideas have been tossed around to make it into some sort of hot rod style theme based on the fact that I grew up in a racing/car show/hot rod family tradition. Other ideas were "Mator, as in Tomator" Disney Cars theme but its "Nator, Mator's cousin, Kelvi-Nator."

The final cost of the total build is limited to about $500. Any suggestions?
4270084287_ab44f10f89_m.jpg

4270085027_d99c884156_m.jpg

4270085697_2596676a05_m.jpg

4270831762_88992ecec3_m.jpg

The idea is to put it against the wall where the pub table is currently and make it the center piece for the bar area. I also thought of some simple ideas to re finish the exterior in a high gloss black with chrome fixtures and refinishing the "Kelvinator" handle in chrome as well as their emblem that is still in good shape on the front. Torn with thoughts...

4270090295_8c04ac3d37_m.jpg

4270092085_15a1bd97d3_m.jpg

4270834990_18a034cf9d_m.jpg

I have started a thread on this project so I will be sure to post its final outcome on here when its complete. You can follow my restoration progress here: https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f35/vintage-kelvinator-freezer-restoration-157113/

[MOD EDIT] Subsequent discussion posts moved to thread referred to above. [/MOD EDIT]

poorieuser said:
;
I'm not sure if I have enough posts for the picture to show up yet but this is the first bit of mail for my kegerator to arrive. I'll post again when its all finish. Its a solid brass Guinness nitro tap that I picked up for 20 bucks. I'm just so happy I had to post haha

Now that I've scored the 2 faucets I was looking for, ebay is a great place to find a deal on a Nitro faucet. I search like I'm looking for "guinness handle" or "guinness tap" since the whole faucet is many times sold as just a handle in the title. nice score!

Well I finally got all my videos edited and uploaded to my blog...

I realize there are much more extravagant kegerators/keezers out there, but hey, this one will do the job hahah

It was simple to convert the full size fridge and I can't wait to keg the Phat Tyre in about 6 more days!

CLICK HERE for the video of the conversion Kit from Keg Connection

CLICK HERE for the video of the fridge

CLICK HERE for the conversion

pray with me guys.... I just drilled the hole in my fridge, and I may have skimmed something it looks like, but the fridge is still turning on and sounds normal so I am terrified I wrecked it..... hopefully its fine and i can show it to you guys in a day or so

Im praying to the beer gods for salvation

Pivot, how did it go?

Here is my keezer:

Here are some rough cell phone pictures (better ones to follow):

I am currently installing a third tap and the drip tray. I'll post much better pictures when it's all finished.

Here is the shell of what I am working with. I would like some ideas and interest into some possibilities of what I could turn this old school bad boy into. It is a 1950's "Kelvinator" chest freezer that can hold 2 cornys with out a collar and 4 with a collar. Ideas have been tossed around to make it into some sort of hot rod style theme based on the fact that I grew up in a racing/car show/hot rod family tradition. Other ideas were "Mator, as in Tomator" Disney Cars theme but its "Nator, Mator's cousin, Kelvi-Nator."

The final cost of the total build is limited to about $500. Any suggestions?
4270084287_ab44f10f89_m.jpg

I have always thought a "Rat Rod" style keezer would be cool. Pretty cheap too. Take it to a Maaco paint shop and get it painted matte back with a matte clear. Then find a local pinstriper and have some old school red pinstipes laid down on it. Something like this:
264033795_068ca47e48.jpg

I have always thought a "Rat Rod" style keezer would be cool. Pretty cheap too. Take it to a Maaco paint shop and get it painted matte back with a matte clear. Then find a local pinstriper and have some old school red pinstipes laid down on it. Something like this:
264033795_068ca47e48.jpg

I love it.... take his advise, then take lots of pictures and let us see 'em....:rockin:

kegerator.jpg

In its "functional" state. I've got the wood to build a case around it and I'm looking for something interesting to build the top out of. Pint was "pre-balance" and yes, its in the basement....for now.

gplutt:
Beautiful tower. Where did you find it?

I found it on E-Bay. It was kinda expensive, I kept looking at it for days and finally hit the button on it. The pour on those faucets is amazing, I can't wait to finish the kegerator so it does them justice.

I love it.... take his advise, then take lots of pictures and let us see 'em....:rockin:

Well, it will be black... We have kicked around so many cool ideas and we are far from making a decision on what the final product will look like. For instance, if we do a hot rod of some sort (50's - 60's) where will the taps come out? Many ideas of trying to hide them in some way to fit in with the theme have been thought over a couple pints. I know we can come up with a cool theme for the shell with using old school head lights and grills with cool paint jobs and some fiberglass. but, where do I fit the taps in? All that said, we are still facing some technical differences on how to get the working elements where they should be. Can look cool, but if it doesn't operate at a good rate for a decent amount of time, It will always just look cool I guess...

We are having a house built when we leave here with a detached work shop. (drag car shop/wood shop) And anything we do with this monster will be a definate focal point in the shop decor. Whether its just a sleek vintage design with post prohibition written all over it or an old school hot rod keezer, it will draw much attention. And alcoholism... :rockin:

Follow my build here: https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f35/vintage-kelvinator-freezer-restoration-157113/

Well now that mine is pouring carbonated beer I am ready to say it's completed and post it here. I think there will always be revisions and modifications I will want to make, but for now I am done.

To fully appreciate it, here is the "before" pic:

001%20-%20Old%20Freezer%20Before%20-%20medium.JPG

Here is the final:

032%20-%20Kegerator%20%28with%20beer%29%20-%20medium.JPG

032b%20-%20Kegerator%20%28with%20beer%29%20-%20medium.JPG

You can check out all of my build pics and comments in my Picasa Web Album.

Hello, I took a lot of info from this site, thought I would give a little back. I have heard of many having problems placing the taps high enough to be comfortable, yet worried about the $%&* freezer door opening them by accident. I bought a bracket at Lowes, a 4 pack with screws for $1.50, and attached the bracket to the freezer door. Now I can open the fridge, without disturbing the freezer, BUT when I open the freezer it forces open the fridge as well. It works smoothly and does not hold the fridge open at all, it stands about a millimeter or so away closed. Here are some pics...hope it helps!:tank:
Ok...sorry, I can't figure out posting a pic...I'll leave this for the info though, the bracket is thick metal...5/8" wide, 4" long, with holes and screws in the packet, by Stanley, at lowes called a mending brace I think. Works great I WILL add pics when I can.
Thanks!!!!

Well now that mine is pouring carbonated beer I am ready to say it's completed and post it here. I think there will always be revisions and modifications I will want to make, but for now I am done.

To fully appreciate it, here is the "before" pic:

001%20-%20Old%20Freezer%20Before%20-%20medium.JPG

Here is the final:

032%20-%20Kegerator%20%28with%20beer%29%20-%20medium.JPG

032b%20-%20Kegerator%20%28with%20beer%29%20-%20medium.JPG

You can check out all of my build pics and comments in my Picasa Web Album.

Where did you get your drip tray?

Do they come with trays under them? Or what did you use for the tray?

This one had a plastic insert underneath with a grid and sliding piece for closing off the vent. I cut out the grid and inserted a piece of wood cut to fit the hole then sealed and painted it. This makes the basin about an inch deep which should be plenty to hold a few drips. I still have the option of drilling a hole and running a line into the freezer to a bucket if need be.

Hopefully this pic will explain it better.

033%20-%20Drip%20Tray%20%28pieces%29%20-%20medium.JPG

The pieces at the bottom are the grid I cut out. The part in the middle is the basin with fitted wood insert all sealed and painted up.

This one had a plastic insert underneath with a grid and sliding piece for closing off the vent. I cut out the grid and inserted a piece of wood cut to fit the hole then sealed and painted it. This makes the basin about an inch deep which should be plenty to hold a few drips. I still have the option of drilling a hole and running a line into the freezer to a bucket if need be.

Hopefully this pic will explain it better.

The pieces at the bottom are the grid I cut out. The part in the middle is the basin with fitted wood insert all sealed and painted up.

Is this the brushed nickel, if so, does it look ok with the chrome tower and chrome taps? Or did you use a chrome spray paint?

Is this the brushed nickel, if so, does it look ok with the chrome tower and chrome taps? Or did you use a chrome spray paint?

Actually the tower is Stainless, and it is this exact brushed nickel one I bought. I didn't paint it, and IMO it looks pretty good next to the tower and taps. It almost looks more like brushed stainless than nickel if you ask me.

Yeah, I don't know why I said chrome.... I meant stainless. :drunk:

Cool, thanks! You just might see that one again when my project is complete.
:mug:

Home Depot, they have a huge selection of styles. It's a furnace floor register. ;)

I thought that was what it was. I've had that same idea and was curious how it would turn out.

It looks ten-times better than the average, run-of-the-mill drip tray. Very well done. :mug:

I thought that was what it was. I've had that same idea and was curious how it would turn out.

It looks ten-times better than the average, run-of-the-mill drip tray. Very well done. :mug:

Thanks! Yeah, I couldn't justify paying three or four times this price for something that looks like a kid made it in shop class.

There are really some interesting selections in floor registers, some I liked much more than this one, but were only available in painted colours I didn't like.

Guntr,

That is one of the nicest Keezer conversions that I've ever seen. You have inspired me to do a Keezer when the time comes. Excellent Job!!! Bravo my friend!

Cheers

Back