Show off your warzone

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Joe C

Reaction score
After talking to llazyllama about our messy kitchens, we both took pictures to see how bad it gets. Anyone have a good picture of their kitchen completely destroyed on brewdays?

Here's mine. Mind you, I brew outside.
IMG_1315.jpg

Here's the background info. I woke up at about 8 and took a shower. Got on HBT and trolled for a bit, then started cleaning and sanitizing my gear. Cleaned ~70 freshly delabeled bottles and started bottling an oatmeal stout. A friend of mine showed up to help, and learn about the whole process at about 10. By 11, we were drinking. Finished bottling, then started on my first batch of the day. By 1 PM, I had an extract batch going on the stove, and another out in the back yard. By 3, I was pretty lit. I forget the rest, but I'm pretty sure I ended up with 3 batches. Either that, or there's something nasty in these ale pails, and I really don't want to open them up to find out.

Oh, and I had the worst boil over in the history of boil overs. I'm pretty sure my ceiling is stained.

DSC00386.JPG

There was a time when I would 'shake' the primary to get more O2 into the wort. Once till this tragic brew day, a day in which I had consumed almost a gallon of cyser before the shake... terrible idea. When I do this shake I grab my 6.5 plastic primary sideways, plug up the airlock hole with my thumb and start moving left to right. here are the results if it slips. The problem lies in the gravity, if it was 1060 it would had been a little easier to clean up. It was about 1090, w/cranberries.
IMG_1665.jpg

I don't have a pic of it, but I had a siphon mishap once and sprayed beer all over the side of the fridge.

wtf is the burned doing in the bath tub????? :eek::eek:

That last pic reminds me of dog puke... Not the "somewhat digested" puke, but the "right out of the bowl, into the stomach, and onto the floor" type of puke. Funny stuff man! Kibbles and bits and bits and bits....

Everything I do on brew day is outside. This is about as "warzone" as it gets for me.

In this pic, I think the "gaggle of SWMBO" were generating a warzone of their own w/ gnomes and pumpkins. ;)

This is another of the best reasons I can think of to brew outdoors. All the space for dirty gear you need!

I don't really have many good warzone pics, because I tend to clean-as-I-go. The mash tun gets cleaned while the boil's going. The first rush of really hot water from the chiller goes into a bucket with oxyclean for scrubbing the implements and such. By the time the beer's in the fermenter, the only things I have left to clean are the boil kettle, drain hose/ aeration gadget, hydrometer and jar, and miscellaneous leftovers, along with a pint glass or two. Easy peasy lemon squeezy, and no extended washing-up after.

Haha that is pretty funny. Yesterday I went to draw a pint from the keg, I turned on the gas and got out the disconnect. I was stupid and didn't attach the cobra tube to the disconnect. So I just shoved the disconnect right onto the keg. The moment I put it on I got a four foot stream of beer shooting me right in my face. It was amazing to see how far 8psi can launch beer..... onto my face nonetheless. Learned my lesson.

Here is the before picture. The 6.5 gallon carboy contains cherry cyser, the 3 gallon carboy contains mead...

3424631003_f6747847f4.jpg

and this is what happens when you don't leave enough headspace in a 6.5 gallon carboy when you have fruit in a primary fermentation. This is the ceiling...

3425439342_7c03844073.jpg

Here is the before picture. The 6.5 gallon carboy contains cherry cyser, the 3 gallon carboy contains mead...

3424631003_f6747847f4.jpg

and this is what happens when you don't leave enough headspace in a 6.5 gallon carboy when you have fruit in a primary fermentation. This is the ceiling...

3425439342_7c03844073.jpg

HAHAHAHAHAHAHA

OMG. THANK you so much guys! I am going to print these up for SWMBO ! She'll have nothing to complain about now!!!

+1 to that! I have since been booted outdoors after the boil over that resulted in new counter top veneer. She came home with another Bayou Classic and said:"Here, now go outside and do it!":D

Haha that is pretty funny. Yesterday I went to draw a pint from the keg, I turned on the gas and got out the disconnect. I was stupid and didn't attach the cobra tube to the disconnect. So I just shoved the disconnect right onto the keg. The moment I put it on I got a four foot stream of beer shooting me right in my face. It was amazing to see how far 8psi can launch beer..... onto my face nonetheless. Learned my lesson.

:off:

Take out a few key words such as beer and keg and you could have one hell of a mad libs with this!

Yeah you cant screw them lids on that tight. you have to squeeze it and make sure you can hear the air escaping.... I like the SS washer and spigot you fixed onto Mr Brewdog

I LOVE this thread !!!
I just showed it to SWMBO, and I'm now off the hook for a lot of messes that I've made !

Thanks guys !

All the more reason why I love brewing in the garage. Room to spread out and a floor I can wash with the hose.

I am renting right now and I didn't have a lot of time to find a place so I don't have a garage now. But my girlfriend understands that the next place we get needs a garage! The kicker is that there is a 2 car garage at my place but my landlord uses it :mad:

I am renting right now and I didn't have a lot of time to find a place so I don't have a garage now. But my girlfriend understands that the next place we get needs a garage! The kicker is that there is a 2 car garage at my place but my landlord uses it :mad:

bless THAT! That's like renting a 3 bedroom and only getting to use 2. Hope your rent reflects the situation.

Back