Show Me Your Wood Brew Sculpture/Rig

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
i agree! the less you transfer the less equipment you need to buy/sanitize/move around...

Great idea, wilser!

003.jpg

little stain can snazz things up a bit

:D It looks good. What kind of wood. Looks like very thick boards. I'm a lumber noob

I used some leftover 3/4 Maple plywood (1/2" on the back) I had in my shop. The front face frame is solid maple, with a piece of poplar or two... It's all scrap wood basically, dadoed, glued and air-nailed together.

I still need to stain and poly it, I have only made one batch with the system so far, workin out the kinks.

I will get the dimensions tonight, Bakins.

Here's my Scuba Steve inspired wood rig which is still very much a work in progress. Ordered the burners and am waiting for them to plumb the propane lines and am waiting for payday to snag some casters.....

beermaking002.jpg

beermaking004.jpg

beermaking001.jpg

beermaking003.jpg

I like it! Are you planning to use angle iron to span the gap and mount the burners to? Also, what is the angled wood frame for on the side of the stand? I was thinking about doing a stand like this, but replacing the horizontal wood beams with the "erector set" style angle iron. Looks great so far...keep the pics comin'!

Looks nice, I actually love the visual effect of the large through bolts. I say this in that I usually use deck screws for this type of project, but the large bolts give it a nice appeal and sense of size.

Give any thought to heat shields? Got any decent electric power nearby?

I like it! Are you planning to use angle iron to span the gap and mount the burners to? Also, what is the angled wood frame for on the side of the stand? I was thinking about doing a stand like this, but replacing the horizontal wood beams with the "erector set" style angle iron. Looks great so far...keep the pics comin'!

Yup going to span the gap with angle iron.....looking at 1 1/2" possibly 2" but need to get the burners mounted first for positioning. Going with jet burners mounted to a straight steel pipe.

The goofy thing on the side is a platform for the LP tank. I know, I know complete uneccessary overkill but I had a 6 pack of DogfishHead in the fridge, alot of scrap wood and was hangin in the backyard watchin the kids play when the overwhelming desire to do SOMETHING struck me. Keep in mind I'm waiting for the burners to be delivered and for next pay day to purchase more materials so I had nothing to do!!!!.

Looks nice, I actually love the visual effect of the large through bolts. I say this in that I usually use deck screws for this type of project, but the large bolts give it a nice appeal and sense of size.

Give any thought to heat shields? Got any decent electric power nearby?

I agree about the large through bolts. I could have gone with something smaller but like you said, the visual effect of those things is great! The thing is built like a tank anyway. The side platform for the LP tank is nails for the support boards and 2" thick brackets with 12" square bolts for the base. I am 200lbs and stood on it after it was done and it didn't even creak. :rockin:

Still pondering what I'm going to do as far as setting up heat shields. If you look at the first picture, top left you can see the orange cord hanging off the power to the garage. I have the garage fully electric and heated (right now its a shop) with plans to make the whole place a brewhaus. There is also water to the garage so its close to plug and play. :ban:

Donshizzles,

Could you PM me with overall dimensions an size of the various wood pieces that make it up if you have them? This is what I would like to make for my rig.

Thanks

Tag

Well it's been about a year since I moved in with my in-laws, and the brewing has ceased to exist. Well I just couldn't take it anymore. Last week I brewed a extract batch, that's currently in the fermenter, I cleaned up and tweaked my kegerator, and then Thursday I realized I was missing something. A brewstand!

So thursday night I hit up the Home Depot, bought some wood, and a few extras, and this is what I have. A work in progress, but with just two nights under my belt i am totally impressed with my self.

What do you guys think?

--matt--

1.JPG

2.JPG
3.JPG
4.JPG

I wanted it to be all in one, so the mill had to be there, with a place for a bucket. The right switch controls the mill. Which right now, is just a milwaulkee drill with the trigger pulled about 1/4 of the way. But it works great.

I was wondering if anyone has any ideas, on how to fireproof the burner chamber on the left. I want to go electric with it one day, but for now, it's going to be propane fired. So i need to line the chamber with something, and I am going through different ideas, and none that seem good. And one else with ideas?

Looking at these I think someday I'll have to build a single tier all electric one. It just looks so good...

I couln't agree more with single electric. Would love to be able to brew indoors and have a timer to start heating my strike while I'm still sleeping. That in itself is cool.

...and have a timer to start heating my strike while I'm still sleeping. That in itself is cool.

I have thought about this using a simple appliance timer and a 1500w element. In reality, 4000w can heat the strike water almost as fast as you can measure and crush the grain...or just about as long as it takes you to make a pot of coffee, as done this morning.

I have thought about this using a simple appliance timer and a 1500w element. In reality, 4000w can heat the strike water almost as fast as you can measure and crush the grain...or just about as long as it takes you to make a pot of coffee, as done this morning.

Yep, 4500W heats up my strike water in about 20 minutes. I crush my grains and measure out my salts during this time.

1500W would take about an hour. So perfect if you have a timer.

So many of these are beautiful! I appreciate the utilitarian stands also, but the beautiful ones are inspiring me - great, another project!

Love the wheels!

that is one bad mofo through box joints are no joke beleive me i know i have cut thousands of drawers that way. I charge more than dovetails !!! do you use a home made jig on a table saw or a router. Looks bad ass makes me want to throw my new steel rig out and go wood/electric. By the way the wood wheels are pimpin like O.G. Dubs. oh wait B.C. Dubs.:mug:

Here's my wood stand that was inspired by some of the ones I've seen here:

IMG_2212.jpg

IMG_3387.jpg

Kal

This is a great setup. Is that a room in your house or a basement or something? Looks like a converted wine cellar. Very cool!

Back