Show me your mash recirculation returns!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

disney7

Reaction score
I'm looking at building a new mash tun, and I would like to see what everyone who recirculates their mash (RIMS/HERMS) is using.

Some things I'm thinking about:

How to return the wort to the tun without letting it dig a hole in the mash.

How to return the wort without splashing too much.

How to address different mash heights, which will vary with the intended OG of the wort and batch sizes.

How to make switching from recirculating back into the tun to running off into the kettle easy and mess free.

Please feel free to add any other points of interest. I current use a rectangular cooler, but I am thinking about switching over to a kettle of some sort as a mash tun. However, it would be great to see all solutions.

Thanks

Not my design but probably one of the best ways to recirculate/return back to the mash tun is to do what Kal did on his electric brewery.... No digging of holes what-so-ever.
IMG_2170.jpg

Mine is similar to that except I have it connected via one of these:
7069.jpg

At work and dont have a picture but I use the loc-line from brewhardware. It is great in my keg mash tun as it is very adjustable for height. I keep a low flow going thru my herms loop and it just flows back on top very gently. As far as switching ti to the kettle, im still switching hoses and making a mess. 3 way valves are in my future for that,

Here's mine, McMaster Carr cam lock, blichmann weldless valve assembly, 1/2"ss tube with holes drilled.

image.jpg

Does that hose float pretty well? (The end doesn't point down and washes a hole in the mash?)

this is what I use

Long time batch sparger here planning to start direct fire recirculation mashing and thinking about options.

I like how this looks but am wondering if it is ok to spray the recirculating wort from this height or is that best avoided due to concerns about hot side aeration or some other issue?

Long time batch sparger here planning to start direct fire recirculation mashing and thinking about options.

I like how this looks but am wondering if it is ok to spray the recirculating wort from this height or is that best avoided due to concerns about hot side aeration or some other issue?

Eric,

that is a better question for a Fly Sparger
I batch sparge, and use this LocLine for recirculation
I have never had a problem with Aeration in the mash.

Steve

How about just using one of those stainless steel braid lines...............

H.W.

Latest posts

Back