Should I use both yeast vials?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

h22lude

Reaction score
I am making a stout at around 1.065. I have two WLP004 vials. One has BB date 1/15/15 and the other is 3/29/15. I plan on making a starter this morning and pitching late tomorrow night. Should I use both vials in the starter? Or maybe use the full March one and half the January one?

This probably won't be the popular opinion, but I would just pitch them both and not even make a starter. I would think there's enough viability between the two for a good fermentation.

Use both of the vials in the starter. A 1.5 liter starter should give you enough yeast cells for the beer.
The oldest vial is 6 months old, so viability is very low. The dead yeast in the vial will be a good yeast nutrient though. The other vial is 3 months old. I used a 5 gallon brew for the starter calculation, with a stir plate, in Brewers Friend.
http://www.brewersfriend.com/yeast-pitch-rate-and-starter-calculator/

You will need to pitch the entire starter. There will not be time to cold crash for decanting the wort.

There's no point in saving 1/2 vial of yeast, you can reuse the yeast after the stout is done, you'll have plenty. So make your starter with both vials and put the whole thing in.

This probably won't be the popular opinion, but I would just pitch them both and not even make a starter. I would think there's enough viability between the two for a good fermentation.

The old vial I think is just too old. Using Mr Malty, I would need 3 vials without a starter. I think because the OG is 1.065, a starter is a good idea. I just didn't know if I should even bother with the old yeast.

Here's a link that might be helpful http://www.mrmalty.com/calc/calc.html good luck.

I do use Mr Malty. I just didn't know if I should bother with the old vial or not.

Use both of the vials in the starter. A 1.5 liter starter should give you enough yeast cells for the beer.
The oldest vial is 6 months old, so viability is very low. The dead yeast in the vial will be a good yeast nutrient though. The other vial is 3 months old. I used a 5 gallon brew for the starter calculation, with a stir plate, in Brewers Friend.
http://www.brewersfriend.com/yeast-pitch-rate-and-starter-calculator/

You will need to pitch the entire starter. There will not be time to cold crash for decanting the wort.

I do usually pitch the entire starter anyway. I made a liter starter with both vials. I also use a pinch of yeast nutrients in the starter and I use a little more when I brew. The yeast should have enough food in the starter and should be ready to go for the brew tomorrow.

There's no point in saving 1/2 vial of yeast, you can reuse the yeast after the stout is done, you'll have plenty. So make your starter with both vials and put the whole thing in.

Exactly what I am going to do.

I haven't used old yeast like that before so I wanted to make sure before pitching both into the starter. Thanks everyone

Why don't you use the fresh yeast to make your 1.5 L starter then use the expired yeast to make a 500 ml starter you can then step up? Two pitches.

Back