Should I trust yeast found in a condom wrapper?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jhartley111

Reaction score
My first (Midwest's Irish Red Ale) and third batch (Midwest's Big River Brown Ale) both had a terrible yeasty taste/aroma. I am looking for a scapegoat (aside from myself :p ) and I am suspecting the Muntons dry yeast that comes in the little yellow condom wrapper. Before I pitched the yeast I let it rehydrate for a while in some previously boiled, room temperature water.
For my second brew (Northern Brewer's Chinook IPA) I used a Wyeast smack pack and it worked out great.

Should I swear off Munton's contraceptive yeast?

I wouldn't use it if your avatar was chewing on it. You are much better off with a liquid yeast or a decent dry yeast like Nottingham or Safale.

Scarry Avatar is right. I bet that guy could swallow a whole grapefruit.

HOTTY TODDY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

couldn't heppit, gator

Yep, Starkvegas, trying to get a handle on homebrewing before football season. Tailgating just got better!

I just took a few bottles of Chinook IPA to my uncle in Jackson the other day. I spared him the yeasty beers. He like the IPA and told me not to get rid of the yeasty ones yet. I'll let them take up room in the closet until they mellow out.

I've used muntons (in the yellow condom wrapper) quite a few times and not had a problem. Are your ferment temps too high? Or was it a used condom wrapper?

jk

loop

If the choice is Munton's dry versus Nottingham or Safale, go with Nottingham/Safale. Nottingham's a great, clean, high-attenuation yeast; Windsor is from the same company, it leaves a bit more residual sugar. Safale US-05 is another very clean yeast for IPAs, APAs, and the like, and S-04 is another great dry yeast with a little bit more English character.

Those yeast cost maybe what, $0.50 - $1.00 more than the "condom wrapper"? I'd buy those. I haven't used the Muntons, but I've used all of those other yeasts very successfully.

Alternatively, if you do use a Wyeast or White Labs liquid, you can always save and re-use the yeast (for three or four generations). That might get your average cost down to less than a couple bucks a batch. Personally, I usually just stick with dry because it's so easy and it works well.

For an IPA, though, you really won't find much of a difference between a Wyeast Cali Ale yeast and the Safale US-05 (formerly known as US-56).

I've had success with munton's. In fact I've done 2 or 3 beers with it. Every time it has fermented out very very quickly... like in 2 days. Never had a yeasty problem, but I secondary most everything and keep everything on the bottom out of my bottles.

Back