Should I throw out my equipment?!?!?!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

nlpavalko

Reaction score
So. . . here's the situation:

I have a basic brew setup with two plastic food grade buckets like this:
http://youcanbrewit.com/product/deluxe-homebrew-beer-making-equipment-kit

I live in an apartment and keep my kit in the laundry room when I am not brewing.

Tonight I was washing laundry and the washing machine was off balance. It was shaking and quaking and vibrated a bottle of fabric softener off the shelf above the washing machine and softener spilled everywhere including on my brew equipment.

There wasn't a lot of softener that splashed on the brew buckets and equipment (maybe 2 cups total) but it was enough that I decided to clean everything.

I washed both of the buckets, the sparge strainer, fine mesh strainer, bottle brush, airlock EVERYTHING with dish soap and lots of water,

I think I have everything clean, but I still sort of smell chemicals/softener.

My Questions:

(1. Ideas for a more thorough cleaning?

(2. Should I trash the whole setup and buy new?

I'd probably replace the buckets if the fabric softener was inside since your beer will have extended contact

I'd probably replace the buckets if the fabric softener was inside since your beer will have extended contact

No, no, just ****ing no. I'm mean seriously. ****ing no.

It'll be fine. If it still smells like cleaner (which can be psychological by the way) leave it in the sun and it'll clear up.

For the $20 I'd spend it would give me peace of mind. I'm not thrifty about my hobbies. I know a lot of people in all of my hobbies/endeavors that try to always cut corners and go cheap (not saying that it doesn't work) that's not me. I would have used PBW and washed and washed like the OP did but if after all that it still smelled like chemicals I would probably replace. I guess I could have elaborated that I wasn't using a time machine to go back to the spill and not try to clean but that given it had already been attempted I would be tempted to replace. I don't really think that my opinion warranted an expletive filled response.

For the $20 I'd spend it would give me peace of mind. I'm not thrifty about my hobbies. I know a lot of people in all of my hobbies/endeavors that try to always cut corners and go cheap (not saying that it doesn't work) that's not me. I would have used PBW and washed and washed like the OP did but if after all that it still smelled like chemicals I would probably replace. I guess I could have elaborated that I wasn't using a time machine to go back to the spill and not try to clean but that given it had already been attempted I would be tempted to replace. I don't really think that my opinion warranted an expletive filled response.

But it's kind of like suggesting (warning--bad analogy--warning) getting a new paint job on your car because it got muddy and it didn't all come off the first time you sprayed it with the garden hose. He doesn't smell chemicals, he smells perfumes that were added to the fabric softener.

"How do you get your beer to be so smooooth with that crisp, fresh smell?" "Well, baby, it's a secret. I'd tell you but loose lips don't bring home the gold in homebrew competitions, know what I'm sayin'?":ban:

another "no" vote. Soak it in oxi-clean for a day or 2, rinse thoroughly with cool water.

Another no vote.

A good soak in Oxiclean will do it. If you can set it out in the sun even better. Then after the soak a few good rinses with fresh water will do the trick.

"How do you get your beer to be so smooooth with that crisp, fresh smell?" "Well, baby, it's a secret. I'd tell you but loose lips don't bring home the gold in homebrew competitions, know what I'm sayin'?":ban:
:D :D :D

Thanks for the advice everyone! I don't think I will throw out the equipment, I have seen a few suggestions about what to clean with.

OxyClean or iodine. I understand what iodine would do (sanitize, yes?), but what about Oxyclean how will that help?

I prefer PBW for situations like, because of its caustic nature. I believe it would actually lift the molecules of the perfumes and such from what got into your bucket..

I'd put some baking soda in the bucket, fill with warm water, and pour in some peroxide, and let it sit for a day or two. That should pretty well eat off the odors. Fabric softeners are kind of bad news in general.

I'm with you on this one. I'd hate to think the bucket is clean and make a beer that tastes like fabric softener...

I'd be down at the LHBS buying new buckets myself. They're super inexpensive: $20 is a cheap price to pay not to have to worry or bust your knuckles scrubbing.

Back