Should I throw away my yeast starter ? Sage advice needed :-(

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

AxelF

Reaction score
Hi Guys,
I kicked of a bottom yeast 4l starter (German Larger dried yeast from brewmaster) in my fermentation chamber running at 12 C for a pilsner. But unfortunatly the fermermentor controller failed after 2 hours and its taken me 2 weeks for me to fix.

Since then the starter in a connical flask has been open to the freezer air has been left for 2 weeks at 23 degrees C.

Do you think its worth trying to harvest the yeast and try again or should I throw it all away and start again ?

It looks OK but smeels of sweet honey.

This is how the starter looks

Attachments

• IMG_20200715_204035.jpg
    IMG_20200715_204035.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 18
Correct,
I was only planning to ferment it for 48hrs then pitch until the Fermentation chamber died.
I only opened the freezer 4 times over 2 weeks.

I mean it may be ok, but could also be that something got in there that will grow once it's been pitched. I'd probably just make something new just to be safe. But next time just throw some saran wrap on top of it.

I was only planning to ferment it for 48hrs then pitch until the Fermentation chamber died.
I only opened the freezer 4 times over 2 weeks.

Regardless of the amount of time the flask will be in the fridge, it ought to be covered, i.e. it shouldn't be uncovered just because you're only planning it to take 48 hours.

You could make up a one gallon batch and pitch it with your starter. If it ferments clean you just built another starter. If it doesn't ferment clean you've only lost a gallon of beer.

Back