Should I steep or mash this grain bill?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jakead

Reaction score
Brewing this recipe today and not sure if I should steep or mash the grain bill. I have yet to fully grasp the difference between steep and mashing. I know the basic ideas but have no clue what grain to do which with. Anyways, below is the grain bill, I can post the full recipe if needed. Thanks for any help.

8.5 pounds Light DME
2.25 pounds Crystal 40L
1.25 pounds Dark Munich
.5 pounds Victory or toasted malt

1 oz Magnum (60 Min)
1 oz Sterling (Dry Hop)
1 oz Liberty ( Dry Hop)

The munich and the victory malt should be mashed.

Mashing is basically just steeping for a longer time and using a more controlled temperature.

A typical mash will last an hour at anywhere from 150-156*F....you could definitely fill up your brewpot with about 5 quarts of water (1.25 gallons) and "steep" all of your grains at 152 degrees or so for an hour.

Curious....what's the recipe for? That seems like a lot of crystal malt to me.

You could sparge or you could just remove the bag and start raising your temperature as you bring the wort to a boil. Maybe check out some of the brew in a bag threads as they'll give you a good idea of the process....but with mashing only 3lbs of grain I don't think you'll really have to worry about it.

Back