Should I steep again?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mlallier

Reaction score
I recently attempted Jamil's Chocolate Hazelnut Porter, which is currently starting it's secondary fermentation. I'm looking at it and the color is medium brown.
My steeping bag was very tighly packed as you can see in this photo.

photo%2525205.JPG

Could it the lightness in color be the result of an overly tight steeping bag?
Should I or could I, steep another small bag of dark grains to boost the color to porter level, and add it to the current batch?
Or should I just let it be?

As for the attenuation it seems to be right on target, so the amount of convertible sugars were correct as per recipe.

Thanks!

I wouldn't mess with it unless it doesn't taste good. In that case, cold steeping some dark grains and adding the extract (after boiling it first) should add a good bit of chocolate/roast flavors.

Yes, the lightness in color is from the grains being packed in so tight that the steeping water couldn't get to the grain in the middle of the bag. Your gravity/attenuation/fermentables come from the extract you used. The steeping grains are simply adding color and flavor.

If the beer tastes good, leave it alone, and next time use a bigger bag for steeping. When I did extract with steeping grains, I would use a large bag in the pot. I wouldn't even close the bag, just use binder clips to hold it to the top of the pot. That way I could stir the grains easily to ensure they all were exposed to the water.

No need to close the bag. Attach it to the sides of the pot and stir once in a while to insure that all the grain touches the water. If you just make a huge tea bag like this, you end up with doughballs and completly dry grain in the middle.

Welcome to HBT fellow Quebecer. Nice to see more of us home brewing !

Following on this: I steeped grains a second time. This resulted in a harsh bitterness.

Latest posts

Back