Should I soak my bucket?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

joe6pack

Reaction score
I emptied my 6 gal bucket fermenter yesterday (by bottling:).) I washed it out thoroughly with soap and water, and then sprayed it down with starsan. However it still smells like beer. Should I soak this bucket for a few hours or overnight? Or will the smell not hurt it?

Forgot to mention I would like to brew tonight, but I can wait til tomorrow.

The smell won't hurt your beer but if you want to get rid of the smell, soak in OxiClean over night and you will be good to go. I wouldn't worry too much about it.

Thanks StevieG, that's the answer I was hoping for. If I was going to store it for a while, I'd probably try to get the smell out, but since I'm going to put more beer into it tonight, I didn't see much point.

Don't worry about it, I don't think you'll ever get the smell out anyway. What's it gonna do, make your beer smell like beer? Just be sure it's clean and sanitized and you're good to go.

Oops, sorry about the repeat question then. There's a lot of territory to cover on this forum!

Back