Should I see activity during secondary?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

nyrmc23

Reaction score
I transferred over a mosaic wheat I brewed last weekend to my secondary. I didn't add anything but transferred out of a three-gal carboy to a one-gallon (I had boiled off a lot and was left with about 1.25 G).

It's been a few days in there and there's no activity coming from the airlock and there's next to nothing going on inside the liquid. I also didn't add anything to it, so unsure there should be. Should I be seeing anything?

Nope, your fine. A secondary “fermentation” is a bit of a misnomer. Your just letting the yeast clean up a bit and give everything time to clear while not sitting on a yeast cake.

Nope . No activity in secondary unless you add fruit as I have found out. The consensus is to not do secondaries unless your racking ontop of fruit or aging for a long period of time . Feel free to leave your beer in primary until you bottle or keg . Beer is a lot safer from contamination and oxidation .

Nope . No activity in secondary unless you add fruit as I have found out. The consensus is to not do secondaries unless your racking ontop of fruit or aging for a long period of time . Feel free to leave your beer in primary until you bottle or keg . Beer is a lot safer from contamination and oxidation .

Yeah I usually do leave, but I needed the carboy for another brew. Thanks guys!

Back