Should I save this yeast for future propagation?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

barnaclebob

Reaction score
So I have started trying to freeze my yeast using the procedure from this site. Saturday I tried thawing one and propagating it for the first time using wort that had been sealed in a mason jar in the fridge for 1.5 weeks.

Fermentation didn't start for about 36 hours due to the wort temp being to low, in the 50's to low 60s. An hour or two after putting it on a heat pad on the stir plate to get it to the mid 70's it started fermenting.

Do you think this yeast is ok to freeze again and continue propagating or is there too much of a chance of something else growing too? I guess i could always try using it and seeing if it comes out ok.

If it looks and smells fine, I'd say keep on going with the generations. And if the actual brew fermentation seems normal than definitely do it. It was probably just lazy from being frozen. I've had yeast from my fridge that took a while to take off, either because of a portion of the cake died or it was just old. Beer turned out fine

Back