Should I pitch more yeast-didn't rehydrate

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

losman26

Reaction score
I did a BIAB brew of an IPA using Danstar's with West Coast Ale dry yeast. The OG was 1.074, and the final volume after trub loss in the kettle ended up being around 4 gal.

Looking at Mr. Malty it says I need 203 billion cells. I did not rehydrate, and am on day 3. Fermentation is pretty active right now. I have read that by not re-hydrating you lose some cells. I'm not sure if I should add another packet of yeast or just let this one ride out? I did aerate with pure o2 as well.

Maybe adding another pack of yeast would be over-pitching? Should I consider adding 1/2 pack?

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Since the beer is actively fermenting, the "damage has been done" so to speak. Though there's probably no actual damage. So no, don't waste your yeast by adding it now.

You are fine. Rehydrating will help the viable cell count, but if you have good fermentation you are on your way. I always try to rehydrate my dry yeast, but as you can see, it's not absolutely necessary to get the job done.

Yep, three days in, you're not going to gain anything adding a pack now.

My typical rules for dry yeast (I make 10 gallon batches):
Anything under 1.050: 2 packs yeast
Anything 1.050-1.070: 3 packs yeast
Anything over 1.070: 4 packs yeast

If I had been in your shoes, I would have pitched two packs initially. But there's no sense in adding it now.

I have pitched dry yeast re-hydrated and without. I have only noticed a couple of hours difference in lag times and cannot detect a difference in the beers. I have never tried a comparison to see the difference though.

I just ran mrmalty with 4 gallons and 2 months ago as a production date and it does say 203 billion cells but suggests one pack. There is no provision there for sprinkling or re-hydrated differences. There are a lot of brewers that feel the calculator tends to suggest pitching too much yeast.

As already stated the yeast have already reproduced to sufficient counts for the wort, plus most of the fermentation is already done.
No need to pitch more.

Thanks for the replies. So adding more yeast while the beer is at high krausen will not do anything? I guess I'm gonna ride this one out. Does anyone know how many yeast cells are in a danstar pack? It seems like I heard that there were 220 billion. If so, I'm probably fine.

Back