should I mash my steeping grains?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gratefuldisc

Reaction score
For my 4th batch I want to try and make a Blueberry Maple Wheat. my first three batches have been extract with steeping grains, and this recipe is the same. I noticed that it includes some base grains in the bill and my last 2 batches I was able to maintain my steeping temp (150) within 1 degree up or down for 20 minutes. If I just steep longer (60 min) isn't that just a mini mash? Will it just add to my gravity and fermentables? is there any upside or downside to doing this?

recipe from lhbs:
1/2lb wheat
1/2lb munich
1/4lb 2 row
6.6lb wheat LME
1oz styrian goldings 60min

wyeast 3056 (I plan on trying a starter the for the first time)

That looks like a partial mash recipe to me, so you probably should mash them. That isn't really the same thing as steeping longer though. You need to have the right water to grain ratio (1.25 quarts per pound is good) in order to get the enzymes released at mash temperatures to convert the starches to sugar. If your mash is too thin (too much water) the enzymes won't generally be in a good place to convert the starches. If you have a small thermos, you could do a partial mash fairly easily. You want to be able to add 5 quarts of water for your recipe, although 1 gallon might be OK if that's what you have. You could use a bag similar to what you use for steeping and do something like boil-in-a-bag (search the site for it).

I have read a lot of DB's easy partial mash sticky and I feel confident I can do it, and I want to do it, if just for the learning experience and progression.

My biggest question is "Should I? or "Why should(n't) I?" How will the outcome differ if I just steep for 20 minutes in 3 gallons water or mash 60 min in 1.5 quarts of water? (i didn't know the water volume mattered, thanks.)

after I mash in 1.5 qts water do I sparge (how much, what temp)? then top up to 3 gallons and start my boil?

I have read a lot of DB's easy partial mash sticky and I feel confident I can do it, and I want to do it, if just for the learning experience and progression.

My biggest question is "Should I? or "Why should(n't) I?" How will the outcome differ if I just steep for 20 minutes in 3 gallons water or mash 60 min in 1.5 quarts of water? (i didn't know the water volume mattered, thanks.)

after I mash in 1.5 qts water do I sparge (how much, what temp)? then top up to 3 gallons and start my boil?

Actually, the question should be "Must I"? Grains that must be mashed, well, they must be mashed. And sure enough, the grains you have listed are all grains that must be mashed.

I'd mash in with 2.0 quarts of water (a tad bit over 1.5 quarts per pound, but still fine), using water that is about 165 degrees. Smoosh up the grain well, so that it really gets wetted in the water. Stir it very well, and then check the temperature. You should be around 152-154 which is perfect. After an hour, lift up the grain bag. It works well if you lift it up over the pot, and put it in a colander or strainer. Then, pour over 170 degree water gently but thoroughly to "rinse" those grains. You can use up to .75 gallons of 170 degree water to do that. (up to .5 gallons per pound of grain). Then, throw the grains away and continue to add water to get to your boil volume.

Thanks Yoop, so to make sure I got it, it should go something like:

-heat 2 qt water to 165, mash in, stir well, check temp (shooting for 152-154)
-maintain 152-154 for 60 min stirring every now and then, remove grain to strainer over pot
-heat 3 qt in 2nd pot to 170, sparge grains in strainer
-top up to my boil volume (3gal) proceed to boil
-at boil add bittering hops and start 60 min countdown
-at 20 minutes to flame out add extract (late addition) continue boil
-flame out, cool, top off to 5 gal, pitch yeast

Back