Should I look at my wort?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

twmessmer

Reaction score
So I made my wort 8 days ago, and have yet to see a bubble. I know a lot of people say to just leave it alone, but I have been thinking of looking at it to see if I think it is fermenting. I may also take a picture and put it on here to see what you guys think. Should I leave it alone or take a look?

Once you pitch yeast your wort becomes "beer."

Is it in a bucket? Sanitize the grommet area (Starsan in a spray bottle or a Starsan soaked wash cloth) and remove the airlock. Then peak through the grommet hole. Use flashlight it needed. If it looks foamy or "creamy tan" it's probably just fine. Replace air lock.

Maybe it's already fermented out. If so let it sit another week then decide to bottle.

I sneak a sanitized skinny tube (1/4" OD) down that hole to siphon off some beer for hydrometer and taste tests.

Removing the lid unnecessary can introduce unwanted infections.
When ready to bottle, before removing the lid, clean the lid and area under the rim well, then spray Starsan on the lid and under the rim area. Repeat twice.

I just pushed on the top of the bucket and air shot out the airlock that smelt like alcohol so I think it may be fermenting. The only problem is I think it smelt kinda sour. I have smelt fermenting beer before and it just smelt a little off. I think I'm just gonna let it go and bottle it up and see what happens. Theres not much else I can do.

Another thing you can do is take a strong flashlight and use it to illuminate the bucket to see if there is a krausen ring in the bcuket through the plastic. If there is a krausen ring you will notice a darker band of material above the clear line of the top of the beer. It will look like there is gink stuck on the inside of the plastic (because of course, that is what it is, gunk.) This is another way to check for fermentation without disturbing the lid.

Bubbles don't mean fermentation as you have likely read. It is entirely possible that you have a bad seal on your bucket lid. When this occurs, your airlock will not move since there is an alternative, easier means of escape for the CO2.

I would use the flashlight method. If that doesn't work, you can try IslandLizards, "look through the grommet trick. That works too. If you still can't tell, you can certainly open the bucket carefully and check the gravity to verify that it fermented. I do this al the time, honestly. I just sanitize my hydrometer and drop it into the bucket to check gravities. Works like a champ for me, but you have to be sure you keep your hydrometer clean and sanitized if you are going to try this.

I just pushed on the top of the bucket and air shot out the airlock that smelt like alcohol so I think it may be fermenting. The only problem is I think it smelt kinda sour. I have smelt fermenting beer before and it just smelt a little off. I think I'm just gonna let it go and bottle it up and see what happens. Theres not much else I can do.

I would not rely on the smells of fermetation for "sourness". There are all sorts of wierd smells that come out of fermentation. taste is really the only tried and true method. However, you have to remember that "gree" (freshly fermented) beer does not usually taste right until it is carbed up fully.

I had a similar problem with one of my first batches. No bubbles from the airlock for several days. After a more thorough inspection I discovered that I had not completely sealed the lid on the brew bucket. After reseating the lid the airlock started to bubble.

Since it has been 8 days you can remove the lid and check for evidence of krausen and take a gravity reading.

I will get my buddies coon hunting light this weekend and I will check the krausen line. If I can't tell if it has one or not I am just gonna wait the full 14 days and then check with hydrometer. If i have waited this long I can wait a little more. Theres no reason to risk ruining a beer that could be perfectly fine. I bought a Brewers Best fermenting bucket. Has anyone else had a problem with it sealing?

I would say that you risk little by taking the lid off and taking a look or a gravity sample.
At 8 days you might have no krausen layer left. Look for a ring of crud around the sides, above the beer.

Keep the bucket as backup and get some Better Bottles. The stoppers seal well and you can see the fermentation.

IMO the Better Bottles are even easier to clean than the buckets. Only downside compared to buckets is that you cannot stack them for storage.

Ya I will be deffinently be getting one of those. I can't stand not being able to see what is going on.

I would say that you risk little by taking the lid off and taking a look or a gravity sample.
At 8 days you might have no krausen layer left. Look for a ring of crud around the sides, above the beer.

Keep the bucket as backup and get some Better Bottles. The stoppers seal well and you can see the fermentation.

IMO the Better Bottles are even easier to clean than the buckets. Only downside compared to buckets is that you cannot stack them for storage.

Ya I will be deffinently be getting one of those. I can't stand not being able to see what is going on.

After you've watched fermentation a few times, the novelty wears off.

Yeah, a little display is nice, but for ease of use, and preventing injury from glass carboys, I went "back" to plastic buckets. They are way easier to clean than any narrow neck carboy, plastic or glass. And they can last for many years if handled appropriately.

After you've watched fermentation a few times, the novelty wears off.

Yeah, a little display is nice, but for ease of use, and preventing injury from glass carboys, I went "back" to plastic buckets. They are way easier to clean than any narrow neck carboy, plastic or glass. And they can last for many years if handled appropriately.

I don't watch the fermentation but a quick look and you can tell if there is any action.

I also use buckets. I find the Better Bottles even easier to clean than my buckets. I soak in Oxyclean overnight, drain and rinse, insert a washcloth and a quart of water and swirl, rinse some more and done. No reaching down to the bottom with a cleaning cloth as I need to do with my buckets.

My oldest Better Bottles are are over 3 years old and I expect to get many more years out of them. IMO they should last longer than buckets which will get scratched inside when stacking them.

To each his own.

I opened up the bucket today which is 11 days of fermentation and I could smell the alcohol. I took a gravity reading and it was 1.010. I think it is about done so I am going to take another reading tomorrow to confirm that it is done. Thanks for all the advice you guys gave me.

Give it two or better, three days between readings. Didn't rush. The beer can take good care of itself.

Latest posts

Back