Should i jerry rig an airlock or leave the blow off tube?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MrBrown

Reaction score
Recently acquired a mini fridge and temp controller. Brewed a Lager and am on the 3rd day after pitching. I realize the krausen isn't getting any higher and a switch to an airlock is justified.

The fridge's current configuration will not fit the airlock. My most immediate thought is continue with fermentation schedule as planned leaving the blow off tube as is. Are there any drawbacks to doing this?

My next thought is to cut a shorter piece of blow off tube and snake it into an airlock using tape to hold it upright. There's always the more indepth end all be all solution of rearranging the cooling coil and cutting out the can dispenser that's mounted on the door to get more space so my carboy can fit on the bottom shelf.
IMG_2140.jpg

I'd just leave the blowoff tube as it is as long as it keeps a decent seal. Airlocks won't fit in my mini fridge either so I just use a blow off tube as you have yours set up without any issues.

When you get "right down to it" a blow off tube is an air lock. Just a "bigger" one. No sweat leave it there. When finished see if you can figure how to get rid of the freezer section w/out ruining the fridge.

Latest posts

Back