anybody use 1" id blow off tube? can I pick your brain?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

letsallgoforasoda

Reaction score
I have a 6.5 gallon big mouth bubbler. The three beers I have made have made in it all had huge krausen and required a blow off for the first few days. I was using a drilled stopper with 3/8" tubing. I brewed a five gallon batch yesterday and pitched a 1L starter of wyeast American ale II and put a piece of 1" tubing that fit the hole for the stopper and is sold for use with carboys fed into a container of starsan. Today I have checked on it a couple times and it has all the signs of pretty active fermentation, a health krausen is forming, not all the way up the side yet like the last few batches, but still very active. I have not seen any bubbling in the blow off though. the lid on the bigmouth bubbler is strapped on so it is sealed pretty well and the tubing fits very snuggly. I have it in a converted mini fridge so I can not look or listen for bubbling constantly but the few times I have checked on it there is no bubbling going on in the container of starsan. In the past when using the smaller tube I would see it bubbling away in the starsan. I'm wondering if the volume inside of the 3" tubing is making it so it doesn't bubble much because there is so much more room for the co2.
Any one have any insight?

I have often used a 1" blow off hose with my BMB in the past and had plenty of bubbles, so my guess is something is not tight. Odds are that lid is not tight.
If that is not it, look closely at the blow off tube and see if it might be just a hair too tight has a crease where it is pinching in on itself so that it fits into the hole. If so, warm up a glass of stars an and soak it for a minute or 2 to make the hose more pliable and then slide it back in. It should go right in and make a better seal.

While your are warming up the tube, pop in a sanitized stopper with a bubbler and see if you get activity. At this stage you should have bubbles going g before you are ready to put the tube back in. If so, the leak was around the hose. If no bubbles then it is with the lid.

Happy hunting!

I have often used a 1" blow off hose with my BMB in the past and had plenty of bubbles, so my guess is something is not tight. Odds are that lid is not tight.
If that is not it, look closely at the blow off tube and see if it might be just a hair too tight has a crease where it is pinching in on itself so that it fits into the hole. If so, warm up a glass of stars an and soak it for a minute or 2 to make the hose more pliable and then slide it back in. It should go right in and make a better seal.

While your are warming up the tube, pop in a sanitized stopper with a bubbler and see if you get activity. At this stage you should have bubbles going g before you are ready to put the tube back in. If so, the leak was around the hose. If no bubbles then it is with the lid.

Happy hunting!
Thanks. I'm gonna go see if the tube is creased. I have the container of starssan pretty low i think if I stand it up on top of something I can use less tubing and get rid of the crease.

I use 1" ID blowoff tubes all the time - but on 6.5g glass. It'd have to be a darned tight crease to stop gas from getting through.
I'd suspect the fit in the BMB neck is more likely leaking than the crease is stopping the gas...

Cheers!

I use 1" ID blowoff tubes all the time - but on 6.5g glass. It'd have to be a darned tight crease to stop gas from getting through.
I'd suspect the fit in the BMB neck is more likely leaking than the crease is stopping the gas...

Cheers!
I didn't mean a kink in the tube I think the crease that is being referred to is where the tube goes into the hole on the lid of BMB it is forming a crease and allowing the gas to escape instead of going into the tube.
I for lack of a better term fiddled with it and it seems to be sealed and bubbling

Ah, right then, that would fit with my suspicion wrt insufficient seal.
A glass carboy neck provides lots of contact with 1-1/4" OD tubing, but I assume there isn't much contact surface between tubing and your lid, making a tight fit more challenging - and require some highly technical fiddling ;)

Cheers!

I use 1.25 inch tubing for my blow-off on my fermenters (not BMBs). I get lots of bubbles. I suspect you have a leak somewhere. Since you have active fermentation, there should be no problem with the beer.

Back