Should I have top layer in fermenter after dry hopping

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

johnway

Reaction score
I am brewing my first IPA and this is my first time using a plastic carboy as a secondary fermenter. The IPA was in the primary for two weeks, the secondary for two weeks before I added 2 ounces of hops pellets.

Just prior to adding, the secondary fermenter was relatively clear. However, after I added the hops, I got some foaming and activity in the air lock. I have read that this is not unusual and referred to as nucleation.

Now three days later, I have a layer of something in the top of the fermenter. My plan was to start bottling in two more days, but do I need to wait for that layer at the top of the carboy to settle? Any advice is welcome.

If the SG is changing, then it is not ready to bottle. If the SG is the same in two days as it was when you dryhopped, then it's fine to bottle.

You don't want to bottle a beer that isn't done, but if it's done (as shown by steady SG readings), it's done.

Four weeks of fermentation should be more than enough, does this foam look like a krausen? If it does you may have introduced some sugars with your hops somehow. If it looks sort of like big, dark bubbles you may have just infected your beer with Brett or something. But yeah, a picture would really help us to figure out what happened.

Here is the photo of the layer in the secondary fermenter. If I rock it, the layer settles and then reforms on the top. ImageUploadedByHome Brew1405559837.489583.jpg

Looks like pellet hop junk, yeah. Rack under it or cold crash to encourage it to sink.

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

Hey John

I do something similar as you do with primary and secondary however just keep it in primary until the bubbles stop (i don't like taking SG readings mid fermentation). Then move it to your secondary thats when i will take a reading while siphoning. Then you can leave it in secondary for a few weeks if you are worried about it not being done but what i notice is i will get a few more bubbles out of the carboy and a nice yeast layer will form at the bottom. I know that after 8 days of being in my secondary its done and ready to be bottled.

Latest posts

Back