Should i dry hop or not?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sdj2289

Reaction score
I just made my third brew. My first all grain using the biab method...all went well and I hit both original and final gravity. I tasted the beer today when I check the gravity and it lack the hop character I thought it would have..... .75 oz target at 60 min. .5 oz williamette at 10 min and .50 oz kent Golding at 0 min.... When I entered recipe in beer smith it estimated a 35 ibu... Should I take the .25 oz target, .50 williamee and .50 kent Golding I have left and dry hop it?

It is a fat tire amber ale clone.... I just looked up the ibu rating on the website and it is 18 ibu.... Maybe I have something setup wrong in beer smith? Anyway i was not going to rack into a secondary but if dry hopping the left over hops will help, I would do it.

Dry hoping is going to give a lot of hop aroma and maybe some flavor but no bitterness. Amber Ales are not a hop forward brew, mostly balanced I would say. 35 IBU should be good. How long has it been in the fermenter?

EDIT: post the entire recipe...

BrewerinBR said:
Dry hoping is going to give a lot of hop aroma and maybe some flavor but no bitterness. Amber Ales are not a hop forward brew, mostly balanced I would say. 35 IBU should be good. How long has it been in the fermenter?

One week in the fermenter.

BrewerinBR said:

EDIT: post the entire recipe...

Sorry for the delay!
8.74 lbs pale ale malt
1 lb Munich malt
.50lb crystal malt
6 oz victory malt

.75 target 60 min
.50 willamette 10 min
.50 kent Golding flame out

Wyeast 1272 American ale II

Did a biab.... Hit all temps, original and final gravity were perfect.

Troegs Nugget Nectar and Maine Beer Co. Zoe are both very hoppy Amber IPAs.

For a low abv amber with only 35 IBUs and your grassy/earthy hop selection, I would leave it as is. Though you could add a simple 1/2 oz. as a dryhop and see if you like the results.

I would use the Kent Golding as dry hop and let it sit for 5 - 7 days someplace cool if you can. However you can just let it go and save the hops for another brew and it should be fine.

bobbrews said:
Troegs Nugget Nectar and Maine Beer Co. Zoe are both very hoppy Amber IPAs.

For a low abv amber with only 35 IBUs and your grassy/earthy hop selection, I would leave it as is. Though you could add a simple 1/2 oz. as a dryhop and see if you like the results.

This beer does not taste like a 35 ibu beer. The original beer that is being cloned is rated at18 ibu. When entered recipe into beersmith it was estimated at 35 ibu.
I guess I'm tiring to figure out: did I do something wrong in beersmith? Which of the hops used should be good to dry hop? Now that its been in primary for two weeks is it too late to dry hop?

Not too late, in fact... right on time. You could even wait another week. I'd use Willamette, but it wouldnt be wrong to use Kent Goldings.

I know nothing about beersmith as I never used it except as a trial, did not like it and wrote my own software so I can't really tell you anything about it. If you want more hop aroma / flavor dry hop it with the goldings (IMO). Two weeks in primary is not to long to dry hop. I just dry hooped a black ale that was sitting in primary for 4 weeks. Actually I always leave brews in primary for 28 days before I cold crash for 5 to 7 days ... normally I dry hop at the same time I cold crash.

Back