Should i complain to Local Brewery?!!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BuddyBrews

Reaction score
Hey yal ive got til jan or so til my first (proper) batches will be drinkable and i really wanted somthin on tap to sip on so i grabbed a five gallon keg from the local brewery of somthing that i buy in bombers all the time and i am completely thrown off by the flavor and color. Its like went from a Rogue Yongers bitter to a Bass or something not what i get in the 22s at all. Should i complain to brewery? Someone said it may be very fresh (i saw them fill it) and needs to age alittle but i dont see how the color can be a glowing orange out of the bottle a amber red and not tasting the best becuase of it being too fresh. Let me know What yal think Thanks Big time.

p.s Since i already tapped it but dont want to drink it until it ages or whatever will it be fine to disconect the co2 until i want to hook it up again. Or should I just Complain and take it back!!? (does not taste like the bottles i hate that burnt amber color)

flavor may change color will not. They could have given you the wrong beer. Take it back. Take a bottle with you so if they argue you can pour from each and show them you're not just being picky. I'm sure that keg cost a pretty penny.

flavor may change color will not. They could have given you the wrong beer. Take it back. Take a bottle with you so if they argue you can pour from each and show them you're not just being picky. I'm sure that keg cost a pretty penny.

Yes thats what im saying i thought it was go good deal at 65$ until tasting. And it dosnt seem right to me to try and drink 5 gallons of beer that im am not satisfied with.

Just called the brewery while typing this and they said that i shouldnt have to age it and i gotta bring it back down there for them to figure out what is going on with it possibly getting the wrong keg. But she also said some people have said it tase different on tap. I dont know what is going on.

You definitely should take it back. You paid for something you didn't get, and it's their job to satisfy you as the costumer.

It's probably a different beer than what you wanted.

Some brewerys brew slightly different recipes for their beer depending on wether it will be bottled or kegged.

Take it back. And maybe take some English language (grammar) lessons? OK sorry my bad, just a pet peeve... take it back!

So i had a friend grab a fresh 22 last night to compare with the keg beer and it was the same crap. They must have totAALY messed this most recent batch up in my opinion. They are not known for always being super consistent and i guess i had to learn the hard way. So im just gonna suck it up save it for nye and choke down a crappy batch of beer with my friends, and i will be sure to let them know that this was not their finest batch of RYe beer. Maybee they changed the recipe trying to make it better/clearer? ( Super clear sparkly Red amber color and flavor now) not what i like. Oh well the homebrews are around the corner. Cant phreekin wait!

Thanks Yal

Sounds like the brewery is willing and trying to make good with you. Did you take the keg back yet?

Nope guess im just sucking it down, the 22oz my friend brought over poured pretty much the same, making me believe the most recent batch just sux. And i definately know that i am super picky. So i dont want to have to argue with them without proof( bottle from earlier summer). So i will let them know( not that it matters) and try a different brewery next time i need a 5 gallon. Hopefully i can find one that will just fill my corneys for me!

Nope guess im just sucking it down, the 22oz my friend brought over poured pretty much the same, making me believe the most recent batch just sux. And i definately know that i am super picky. So i dont want to have to argue with them without proof( bottle from earlier summer). So i will let them know( not that it matters) and try a different brewery next time i need a 5 gallon. Hopefully i can find one that will just fill my corneys for me!

Sorry to hear that, it is possible they could have changed it up, or maybe your memory isn't so great from this past summer? :drunk: Next time, when you go to that place, or any brewery, to order keg, order a pint first and make sure you like it.

Sorry to hear that, it is possible they could have changed it up, or maybe your memory isn't so great from this past summer? :drunk: Next time, when you go to that place, or any brewery, to order keg, order a pint first and make sure you like it.

Yah i trust my memory enough that im convinced its not a quality batch. Seems watered down now, and i cannot get over the difference in color. I dont really drink Amber colored beers and would never have got a keg of it if i would have known. I dont know they just lost my future business. More reasons to brew my own!

. . . I dont really drink Amber colored beers and would never have got a keg of it if i would have known . . .

At the risk of sounding snobbish and like an EAC, I'll ask the obvious question: Some of the world's great beers are amber colored - why wouldn't you drink them?

At the risk of sounding snobbish and like an EAC, I'll ask the obvious question: Some of the world's great beers are amber colored - why wouldn't you drink them?

I guess i am definately open to try any beer. I just havnt really drank too many i like. lol Bells Amber is good but thats about the only commercial one that i can name that ive had and liked. Im sure with more experience and peoeple pointing me in the right direction there will be more out there i would like. And i was just saying that i wouldnt of bought a keg of it if i would have known it was different than i remembered

65 for a 5gal corny is real cheap . what was it supposed to be like?[/QUOT

Ummmmmm a Rye pale. Like i said seems watered down amber colord like yuengling, not like a local asheville beer, way clearer than normal without that flavor. but yes otherwise that would be a good deal had i liked it considering i pay 30$ bucks for a partial grain beer kit and then wait a month for it to be ready to drink on.

I would be very interested to learn which breweries do this.

More specifically, no, they do not.

Hmm, you're probably right. No, no, wait, there was this one brewery that did this...dammit...what WAS their name. It's right on the tip of my tongue, must not have been anyone major or I'd be remembering it. Heck, if I can't remember this, you must be right. Nope, nope, I'm sure there was this brewery...it was on several...

WAIT, I remember...they were called SIERRA NEVADA...or something like that. Not sure if it rings any bells. Can't say that I've ever heard too much about them myself! :p

Hmm, you're probably right. No, no, wait, there was this one brewery that did this...dammit...what WAS their name. It's right on the tip of my tongue, must not have been anyone major or I'd be remembering it. Heck, if I can't remember this, you must be right. Nope, nope, I'm sure there was this brewery...it was on several...

WAIT, I remember...they were called SIERRA NEVADA...or something like that. Not sure if it rings any bells. Can't say that I've ever heard too much about them myself! :p

There's a "small" brewery called Guiness that does this too. :mug:

Youre in Asheville...might I inquire which brewery (and beer)? Not really trying to call out, or give the impression any brewery in Asheville is bad, but since I'm close and around Asheville a lot, I was just curious.

Hah! I was just reading this thread and was going to bring that up.

To the OP: I think it is your duty as a brewer to let them know. If you used to really like the beer and others did too and now you don't, let them should know. Maybe they changed to a cheaper crystal or something to increase their profit margin. Just be nice about and maybe even do it on the phone so you remain anonymous. You wouldn't even have to admit that you bought a keg. Just say you were in for a pint and pose it as a question.

I would love to know which brewery as well. I am up that way a bit to visit the parents and always hit the local watering holes. Of course, there are now more breweries than you can shake a stick at.

I would love to know which brewery as well. I am up that way a bit to visit the parents and always hit the local watering holes. Of course, there are now more breweries than you can shake a stick at.

haha didnt want to call anyone out either but i dont mind to. IT was the French Broad brew co. Rye hopper. Its a damn fine beer out of the 22s just this keg and the last one i popped was way off.

Also id like to add i just sampled their new brown ale and was not impressed at all which was realy surprising to me. I usually love brown ales. the Asheville brewing co. boggiedown brown kicks its ass! You can only get it there on tap tho.

You got the best beer right there in the GA TeRRapin rocks!

Hah! I was just reading this thread and was going to bring that up.

To the OP: I think it is your duty as a brewer to let them know. If you used to really like the beer and others did too and now you don't, let them should know. Maybe they changed to a cheaper crystal or something to increase their profit margin. Just be nice about and maybe even do it on the phone so you remain anonymous. You wouldn't even have to admit that you bought a keg. Just say you were in for a pint and pose it as a question.

Yes, right on man. I did call them and asked if there was a possible mix up and i let them know that i thought it was different than the 22ozers i had been shwilling on over the summer, but did have the usual hop flav. They said that some people had said they tasted a a little difference in kegs but that they hadnt changed the recipe. So oh well it will be 5 gallons less of the homebrew that gets at a NYE party. (Gonna keep the hombrew tap hidden for the myslef and a few others that night.)

Back