should I brew?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Pivot

Reaction score
I was going to brew two beers this weekend: A dark belgian tripel, and a hobgoblin clone.

However, in a week and a half I am going to be leaving for about 3 months. is it a good idea to make these if they will be sitting in the primary for 3 months? Or should I just wait until I get back?

Go for it, as long as you keep the temps down you should be okay. If you can rack to secondary before you leave that would be ideal.

I would not do it unless they were going into a secondary and I thought I could keep the airlocks full. Otherwise, I don't see why not. Germs won't travel "up" the airlock, but tiny flies will.

I did this just before being deployed. I was gone for over 6 months. I did a quick 7 days in the primary and racked to the secondary with about 15% fermentable left. It was a Maerzen and was fully carbed and the absolute best beer I had ever drank, and thats coming back from 6 month deployment to Belgium!

Secondary was a sealed corny.

m.

Back