Should I bottle?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Gavoreilly

Reaction score
Looking for advice.
I found the ingredients for an American pale ale that I bought 8 months ago and never got around to brewing. I decided to try use them anyway but I had a few problems. First off: I only achieved an original gravity of 1.033 (was aiming for at least 1.045). I was also unable to get the wort as cool as I'd like. The weather was very warm and my wort chiller just wouldn't bring it below 75F.

It's been fermenting now for seven days with no airlock activity. There was a bit of foam on top for the first few days but now there is none. The temperature is currently 70F.

My question is: is it worth bottling or should I just toss it out and start a new brew?

Looking for advice.
I found the ingredients for an American pale ale that I bought 8 months ago and never got around to brewing. I decided to try use them anyway but I had a few problems. First off: I only achieved an original gravity of 1.033 (was aiming for at least 1.045). I was also unable to get the wort as cool as I'd like. The weather was very warm and my wort chiller just wouldn't bring it below 75F.

It's been fermenting now for seven days with no airlock activity. There was a bit of foam on top for the first few days but now there is none. The temperature is currently 70F.

My question is: is it worth bottling or should I just toss it out and start a new brew?
Extract or all grain?

If extract, I would certainly bottle it because either your volume was WAY off (like 33% too much water) or you did not get your wort and top-up water properly mixed before taking the sample.

If all grain (your OG is more likely to be accurate), probably still bottle it. Just call it an English Bitter. The low gravity makes a fine lawnmower/session beer. The higher fermentation temps will likely cause some off flavors but how much will depend on which yeast you used and how accurate your thermometer actually is.

I would say ferment at least two weeks - three weeks is better. Three days before your planned bottling day, take a gravity sample (correct it for temperature). On bottling day take another gravity sample. If it is stable and clear or slightly hazy, it's ok to bottle. If it's still dropping, wait a few more days. It's important to make sure fermentation is complete because continued fermentation of the fermentables already in the beer can cause over carbonation and bottle bombs - a safety hazard.

Yup - gravity read that sucker and let it sit a few more days after stable gravity. Then, go ahead and bottle or dry hop to improve its aroma, if need be.

What are your reasons for dumping?

So far, all I see is: My Brew day didn't go as planned
We've all been there ;)

Have you measured SG? Have you tasted the hydro sample?

You've already spent the money on ingredients and the time getting
into the fermenter. You had krausen. The airlock activity or lack thereof
isn't a reliable indicator of fermentation activity. And after 7 days in the
low to mid 70s it's probably done.

Let it go another couple of weeks to allow the yeast to work on some of the
undesirable by-products of a warm ferment. Then decide.

It'll be beer. Maybe not the one you were expecting. Maybe not the best you've
ever made. It might be drinkable, however.

Is it worth bottling? Only you can decide that. But for a couple of bucks in
bottle caps and priming sugar and another hour or so of your time, I know what
call I would make. :D

If it has been in primary for seven days go ahead and check the gravity again. If it is the same as the OG your yeast may not have been viable. You can always pitch more and give it another shot. It may turn out to be a good one, shame to dump it without giving it a chance as long as there are no obvious signs of infection.

I agree with the others here. Never give up on a beer because your brewing didn't go as planned. Unless you have an obvious infection (which you don't) you should stick with it. If your gravity reads anywhere below the mid teens (1.015) and stays there over a couple days you should bottle it......or mail it to me and I'll drink it. ;)

The first beer I brewed a year ago was a Saison and it did the same. I pitched another packet of yeast and it perked for a day at most. Turned out, my fermenting bucket was not sealing correctly and was leaking. Bad lid. 6 weeks later and cold crashed, bottled and beer turned out fantastic? Now, I have another Saison 3.5 weeks in and still some air lock activity. Bottling this weekend. Taste great!! Brewing is always an adventure, but fun!!

Thanks Guys. Gravity reading on day 11 is 1.010. Having tasted the sample there is a very slight astringency but not a bad flavour.

astringency in extract?

i would just wait a few more days, then dry hop it for like 5 days, then bottle it. if you fermented too warm (which you did), then a little more time in the fermenter might help some of the off-flavors condition out. but it won't be too much of a difference. then you've got to wait 3 weeks in the bottle anyways, which should give it plenty of time to condition. especially if you do the dry hop to help mask some of the off-flavors.

Why do you suggest dry hopping joshesmusica?

because it's a pale ale. so there should be a good amount of hop flavor and aroma, which you will get from a good dry hop. like at least an ounce.

also because if your fermentation temps caused any off-flavors, this could potentially help mask those a bit.

and because why not dry hop? i pretty much dry hop nearly every beer i make, because i'm not following bjcp guidelines most of the time, and i like to really smell the hops.

Airlock just started bubbling on day 12 (after gravity already reached 1.010). What's going on?

Airlock just started bubbling on day 12 (after gravity already reached 1.010). What's going on?

The airlock isn't a reliable indication of fermentation... Take gravity measurements.

There are several things that can cause an airlock to bubble.

[ame]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4jzT_KTTZ0Q[/ame]

Back