Should I bottle or rack my mead to another carboy?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sprockethead

Reaction score
I’m new to Brewing my apples. I’m making a spiced Meade with cinnamon and clove. It’s been fermenting in a carboy at approx 50 degrees for two months. I did not yet have a hydrometer when I made it, but have one now. The airlock is bubbling less than once per minute and there is about 1 1/2 inches of sediment. Should I continue to rack to another carboy and let it sit for a few more weeks/ months or bottle it? Can I still take reading if I didn’t do an initial reading?

Well I racked it and tested the Meade. It floats at 1.000 FG.
I tasted it and after two months brewing it is still a bit fizzy and yeasty. Smells awesome but the taste seems unfinished. My cider room temp was 50 degrees but has dropped to 40. Is that too cold? Shall I move the second ferment to a warmer temp or leave it in the room at 40 degrees? The yeast I used was Lalvin D47.

Last edited:
Actually, judging by the hydrometer reading, it’s pretty much finished. I would leave it where it is and let it clear, effectively “cold crashing” the batch. 40 degrees should clear it in a couple of weeks.

-J-

Tha
Actually, judging by the hydrometer reading, it’s pretty much finished. I would leave it where it is and let it clear, effectively “cold crashing” the batch. 40 degrees should clear it in a couple of weeks.

-J-
Thanks Laughing Jack. I did rack it to another carboy but left in the cold room. I’ll try to test again before bottling in two weeks.

-J-
I need to go south for two months. Would it be safe (if not beneficial) to leave my Apple Mead in the secondary carboy until I return? The room is still 40-50 degrees. The taste is a bit yeasty still.

Transferring to a fresh carboy was a great idea, as long as you only got the liquid sitting above the sediment at the bottom of the carboy. At the ambient temps you’re at, it could help it cold crash nicely. Leaving for 2 months isn’t a bad thing. Just make sure that the airlock is nice and full before you leave. That way it doesn’t dry out and expose your brew to the nasty open air, which can lead to off-flavors / infections by other yeast or bacteria.

By the way, what was your recipe for this? How much honey did you add and what is the volume of the batch? Also, how much cider was added in place of water (I’m assuming you fresh pressed your apples and added the resulting juice)? Given the recipe, it’s pretty easy to calculate what gravity you likely started around, and then we can see what the ABV is.

Also, don’t go on depth of sludge as a matter of knowing when to transfer. The final depth of slurry can be dictated by how much yeast added, fruit/spice additions, etc. One can only tell when something is done fermenting or ready to rack once multiple consecutive gravity readings are the same, showing that the yeast are now no longer active.

Thanks ShareBrewing! The recipe I used in the primary was approx 5 gallons freshly juiced apples, 7 lbs honey, Lavin D47 yeast, cinnamon sticks, lemon and cloves. Brewed at 60 degrees, then 50 and now 40 degrees for 2 months. Racked off yeast sediment a week ago, carboyed with airlock. The hydrometer reading was approx 1.000 when transferred.it tasted a bit fizzy and yeasty.

What would you recommend I do with it once I return in late Feb?

Back