Should I bottle it now or give it another week

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dataz722

Reaction score
I have an american wheat that I brewed 2 weeks ago but it has some serious temperature issues while fermenting getting into the high 80's. I need to have this beer ready in 3 weeks and I would like to give it time to mellow out a little bit more but I am afraid that it would be carbed in time if I dont bottle now. What is everyone's opion? Should I bottle now or give it another week and hope it carbs in 2 weeks?

It doesn't matter. If you want to drink it when it's five weeks old, it'll still be only five weeks old whether it's bottled today or next week. Aging it on the yeast cake vs. in the bottle doesn't really matter, after it's been in primary for a couple of weeks. The yeast has done its work, and the only thing it needs now is time.

Like Yoop said, if you need to have it ready in three weeks it doesn't really matter. It will only be five weeks old at that point regardless of whether you bottle it now or wait another week. The only thing waiting another week will do is possibly make it weak on carbonation.

If you're intent on having this beer ready to drink in three weeks I would bottle it now.

If you had the temperature problems you think you had, leaving it on the cake isn't going to make it enough less of a banana bomb to matter. On the other hand, I've NEVER had a problem getting a wheat beer with a slowly floccing yeast to carb, with some of them being ready in as little as two or three days, though to be fair those beers were better 7 to 10 days into carbing. So if you used such a yeast, I suggest you split the diff and leave it on the cake one more week and bottle two weeks before the event. That'll be plenty of time for them to carb and at least give the cake a chance to clean up a bit of the banana.

If it were any other kind of yeast, I'd say bottle now to give it the maximum chance of carbing well in time.

Latest posts

Back