Should I Be Worried?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

splattsmier

Reaction score
I racked an batch of apfelwein onto 5 lbs of blackberries yesterday morning 9/8/13. Tonight I went to check on it and found this...

ForumRunner_20130909_223553.jpg

The last time I added fruit to a cider it was just 3 gallon + 3lb fruit in a 6 gal carboy. This time I did a full size batch. My question I feel is obvious (and I'm afraid the answer may be too) : should I be worried about all the floating fruit clogging up my blowoff and building enough pressure to turn this into a glass grenade? Any suggestions on how to proceed?

Thanks, and cheers

I racked an batch of apfelwein onto 5 lbs of blackberries yesterday morning 9/8/13. Tonight I went to check on it and found this...

The last time I added fruit to a cider it was just 3 gallon + 3lb fruit in a 6 gal carboy. This time I did a full size batch. My question I feel is obvious (and I'm afraid the answer may be too) : should I be worried about all the floating fruit clogging up my blowoff and building enough pressure to turn this into a glass grenade? Any suggestions on how to proceed?

Thanks, and cheers

Sanitize another carboy and split into two 3 gallon batches? Or if you lack another carboy, move some into a sanitized bucket? Then immediately before bottling/kegging, recombine and proceed. Probably not the answer you were looking for, but it will provide somewhat of a solution.

I was hoping to be able to keep it going in just this vessel. Like I said my main concern is this thing blowing up overnight or while I'm away at work tomorrow. If I need to siphon off some to clear space I'll do it; SAFETY is my primary concern at this point.

On the other hand, if the gas.is able to get around the fruit then I'll just leave it be.

I think it's highly doubtful that it would build enough pressure to blow up.

It would either push the fruit through or knock out the tube before that glass gives way.

Even if fruit gets in the tube,it's not going to make an airtight seal.

I think it's highly doubtful that it would build enough pressure to blow up.

It would either push the fruit through or knock out the tube before that glass gives way.

Even if fruit gets in the tube,it's not going to make an airtight seal.

Thank you for the much needed relief! I appreciate the quick feedback

Back