Should I ad additional yeast?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

UglySister

Reaction score
Wyeast 2124 is fermenting slow. After 10 days of fermentation it has slowed to 2½ minutes between bubbles. (temperature is 53°) I don't know what to expect as FG. OG was 1.040. I'm wondering if I should add another yeast pack or just wait for it to finish.

Last edited:
Have you taken a gravity reading? It could be done and still have occasional bubbles in the airlock.
I haven't taken a reading yet. What should I expect for an FG? It was 9 lbs of 2 row and 1lbs of carapills.

What temp did you mash at? And I can plug it into beersmith for you.

Have you taken a gravity reading? It could be done and still have occasional bubbles in the airlock.
Current gravity is 1.012
I racked to secondary and put it back in the basement. Hopefully it will drop a little more.
I had extra so I filled a growler. Was that a bad idea?

Did you raise the temp into the 60's for a few days to do a diacetyl rest? Lager really needs some time for yeast clean-up, several weeks on the yeast.

Did you raise the temp into the 60's for a few days to do a diacetyl rest? Lager really needs some time for yeast clean-up, several weeks on the yeast.
No, I don't have access to 60°. I could bring it upstairs put in a closet. (70° daytime / 65° nighttime)

6 gallon recipe (Those numbers are 5 gal I'm guessing)
yeah probably is i got 1.054 with my equipment and 5 gallon batch.. with 6 gallons i get 1.043 og and 1.011 estimates at 150F.. so your not doing to bad...

You've racked it off the yeast already so I would just give it a couple weeks now....you can sample it to see if you can taste any diacetyl (buttery, buttered popcorn like taste)

Do you think the growler will naturally carbonate even without bottling sugar? Is it safe? I don't want it to blow up.

Back