should caps be moving

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ernie00

Reaction score
I used to rent the capper from for LBS store near my house. Never had a problem in 4 batches. Was tired of going back and forward to the store so I bought one.
so I bought this one
http://www.austinhomebrew.com/popup...D=985&osCsid=ecce1a6595a791b8e6e680b5db02d9da

I lost half of my last batch part of it was my fault because of caps went on a little crooked. I will admit it.

I've been doing some testing since then and have another batch to bottle soon and don't want to mess it up.

Once capped the caps are movable with some force... I have to give it a little force but not over power it.

So I called the LBS and they are telling me it`s normal the caps are moving since its not carbonized.

So I'm not sure if it's defective or it`s me. When I compare it the the rental I used to have the caps can move but it need a lot more strenght.

Even when I open a beer it doesn't fell as tight as with the other one.

so where do I go from here?

thanks
Ernie

That bench capper should be the right one for doing about any bottle, ernie.

Did you check to make sure you are using the right size bell? You should have got 2 bells in different sizes. I'm thinking you are using the larger bell & not getting a good crimp.

I only got 1 bell with it. ... hmmm.

why can't things be simple. How do I know I have the right size bell ?

It really sucks because I got my APA just the way I like it. It's really upseting after work opening one and not hearing a PSSSSHT !

36043_452584572345_648692345_5335543_6467606_n.jpg

this is the space I have on the bell

thanks for the info and help

Ernie

I just grabbed my capper to see how it looks with a cap vs. your pics. I'd say you're using the right size.

The fact that you used another capper before with good results, but now you're not getting good results tells me that it's equipment error, not operator error. I'm a little stumped. Perhaps someone else can toss up some ideas.

XXguy when you put it on can you move the cap.. turn it with using some force basically?

I'm trying to understand how the equipment can be faulty.

I have to use a good grip & lots of force to turn a cap.

Maybe if you have the chance - try taking yours back to the store & compare it to the one you rented before. I still think something must be wrong with your equipment if you didn't have any of these issues before.

mount the capper on a piece of plywood or something, and make sure you've got it adjusted right and you pull the lever down all the way.

I have the same bench capper and its been reliable. comes with one bell, and you can buy the 'European' bell separately. I got mine at Williams or Northern Brewer.

Latest posts

Back