Shortest realistic brew>bottle time for a brett saison

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

m00ps

Reaction score
Ive got a saison fermenting right now with a blend of YB Wallonia Farmhouse, WLP566, and YB Brett Amalgamation. I pitched them all at the same time and raised the temp to 90 after a day or so.

Whats the soonest you think I could get it bottled without worrying about bottle bombs? Ive made wild and brett beers before, but it was always an extended secondary. Here, the brett has initial access to the easy to digest sugars so Im not sure how itll behave.

If I taste it in say 6 weeks and its developed enough character, do you guys think id be good to bottle? I plan on using heavy duty bottles to account for any further attenuation

well, its been going since saturday 8/8 at 90F and by now the yeast has basically all dropped. Deciding if I want to transfer to a 5gal secondary to free up the carboy for another long term project. Ill see where its at in a month I guess and decide from there.

not sure yet. I was going to take a reading this weekend to see if there has been any brett character developing since I pitched it along side the sacch

update:
I transferred this to a 5gal carboy on 9/3. It has less headspace than anything ive ever seen, I got lucky

At ~1month it had a lot fo brett character. Not realyl any funk, just that tart crisp bite to it. At SWMBOs request, I added my house sour culture during the transfer. This is "her" beer after all. Im gonna check how sour it is sometime next week. My culture seems to be able to sour stuff pretty damn quick

So I ended up souring this in the secondary bc SWMBO demanded it and its her beer after all....

Bottled it a bit under 2 months. Got down to 0.0994, lower than anything ive ever seen but it tastes great and smells even better. Stable FG for 3 weeks but I still underprimed a bit and used heavy biottles to account for the bacteria. The original saison and even brett character is eclisped by the sour blend I made.

I also had a thread trying to debate how to approach the souring process:
https://www.homebrewtalk.com/showthread.php?t=543576

Forgot. Someone asked about the pH of the sour. I took a reading at bottling and with was ~3.3 about 2 months in. I only have the strips and use wine ones to check final beer pH when I need to.

Back