Brett Brux - Sacch/Brett....wait...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

m00ps

Reaction score
First off I AM NOT TRYING TO CONTEST THE GENEALOGICAL CLASSIFICATION OF THIS YEAST. I have a question on how to use it

I've got another 100% Brett IPA coming up. My First one used a brett blend from omega yeast that is described as follows:
This blend contains the two Saccharomyces strains from blend #1 for primary fermentation and is spiked with Brettanomyces bruxellensis for development of moderate “funk” during a secondary fermentation. The “bit ‘o funkiness” will take extended time (3+ months) to develop.
And Blend #1 says:
"A blend of a mild Brettanomyces isolate from a Colorado brewery known for its Brett beers and two strains formerly classified as Brettanomyces but since found to be Saccharomyces. This blend produces huge tropical fruit aromas during fermentation that fade somewhat during conditioning. Has a wide temperature range and ferments very dry, leaving little body. Consider adding flaked oats if additional body is desired. This blend will not produce significant “funk” or acid, even with extended aging. The blend pairs well with fruity aroma hops to make a unique pale ale."

So I'm pretty sure the same WLP644 strain is in there along with something else. I now have been using Yeast Bay Brett Amalgamation and its fantastic. Straight up fruit bowl flavors if you choose the right hops. I am now considering combinging everything into a single blend and using this going forward. But then I thought, if there's a sacch in there, it may significantly change how this thing ferments...

My usual MO for Brett IPAs is to just ferment it for 3 weeks and bottle. This worked for both blends. It gives a very clean fruity profile with no funk at all. For regular beers with brett added, Ive been co-pitching them and giving it around 2 months to ferment. They always develop that tart brett character pretty quickly. But im wondering, If I blend everything together, will this mess up how I like my 100% brett IPAs?

My thought is that although these sacch/brett strains may technically be sacch, they behave as though they are brett and can even form a pellicle. So maybe having them in the mix wont produce the need for a long fermentation?

Only one way to find out! I'd plan on giving it the two months, though. I have found sacch trois to behave like a low flocculating sacch, not brett.

Hold on, i just thought of something. If the sacch was going to "compete" with the brett in the Omega blend and give that class tart brett character and require a long fermentation, wouldnt it have happened the first time I used it for 100% of the pitch?

Ive let all my brett IPAs go just 3 weeks and bottled. No issues with overcarbing or anything yet...

well I ended up not mixing the Amalgamation and Omega blend2 together, but I did try the individual starter worts.

Even though the Omega yeast blend contains the two sacchs previously classified as bretts, they are essentially still brett for all practical purposes. They do not produce that classic tart brett character when combined with brett like all other sacch yeasts and they get to FG within a few weeks like any 100% brett beer

Latest posts

Back