Shorter boil times and bottle conditioning

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

shoreman

Reaction score
Over the past year or so I've been inspired by the Brulosophy "Short & Shotty" series with great results. I've done 45 min boils down to 20 min boils. My brewing time is limited and its been producing some really good kegged fresh beers.

I'm wondering if anyone here has been doing some shorter boils and bottle conditioning? For some reason I've got it stuck in my head that I need at least a 60 minute boil to stabilize the beer for long term storage. I mostly brew belgians for bottle conditioning to get the levels of c02 I need but they are in the 3-8%ABV range.

Thoughts?

I am becoming a fan of shorter boils myself, based on the recipe of course. I have not come across any ill effects as of yet having gone as low as 20 minutes myself.

Ok good to know - any effect on clarity at all in the final product?

I bounce between 30 and 15 minute boils (depending on how hoppy a beer is). They seem fine to me as far as taste,however, my beer has never been super clear so I'm not sure if shorter boils contribute to haze. Also, I bottle condition and haven't noticed any stability issues (I store the beer at room temp).

On a shorter boil, do you just add higher alpha acid hops (or more hops) to impart bitterness? I would think you may have to rethink your whole hop additions timing and AAs.

On a shorter boil, do you just add higher alpha acid hops (or more hops) to impart bitterness? I would think you may have to rethink your whole hop additions timing and AAs.

I usually have to use more hops. I do 30 min boils for pale ales and IPAs so I don’t have to use a ton. I use the brewers friend app to calculate IBUs.

Who still uses hops in their beer?

Good one.
Short boils work extremely well for extract and all grain brews from the German wheat ales with noble hops to American IPAs. Bittering levels will have to be adjusted accordingly. Short boils are very easy to do and actually complement an extract beer with noble hops as it helps minimize the darkening of the wort.

I worry about DMS in a shorter boil. The last 3 I've done have been 30 minute boils and not noticed any issue (one is still in the fermenter, so jury is still out on that one). I did not use any Pils Malt in any of them.

Thanks for the replies! A 30 minute boil is worth trying out IMO, will let you know.

Back