shortened keg

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gmtech825

Reaction score
so ive searched but havn't had any luck. i was thinking of cutting down a 5 gal keg so that it will sit on the compressor shelf of my kegerator. i usually keg 2.5 gals anyways so id like to be able to fit another keg in the fridge. the three gallon kegs seem really expensive so i guess i want to make my own. any concerns to consider? obviously, i need to cut and weld the keg and shorten the dip tube. anything else i should consider?
thanks

Since its a pressure vessel you will want to safely test it before putting it into use. Hydrostatic test so as not to hurt yourself or anyone else if your weld fails.

This sounds like a bold experiment to say the least. I think you should try it, either way its gonna make an awesome story. Just be sure to take pics!

I know Yuri_rage has done it. He later said it wasn't worth it, though. I guess it was a real pain, since that stainless is tough to weld and it's very thin. I'm not a welder, though, so I don't remember the specifics of the problems.

i have a fair amount of welding experience and have friends who have even more. i can understand it being hard if you dont have the right equipment. i have easy acces to it.

here is one http://morebeer.com/view_product/18193//Cornelius_Keg_-_3_Gallon_Refurbished $79.

a standard issue 5-corny is what? $40? then you have to cut it down cleanly and square to reweld. and tig costs money unless you have a machine and are good with stainless. all the weldors i know charge $75-$100/hr for very nice stainless welding. i would say 1 hour tops. the last option: get to be friends with an experienced weldor.

Well gmtech825 did say he is an experienced welder with the equipment. My only concern is the safety issue. As long as you cover your basis there is no harm in trying. Only the cost of the supplies and the keg!

Post back with some pictures of your results. I'm interested in hearing how it goes.

You can test for leaks by filling it full of water, seating the lid and hook it up to city water pressure. That will safely tell you if it is leak free.

here is one http://morebeer.com/view_product/18193//Cornelius_Keg_-_3_Gallon_Refurbished $79.

a standard issue 5-corny is what? $40? then you have to cut it down cleanly and square to reweld. and tig costs money unless you have a machine and are good with stainless. all the weldors i know charge $75-$100/hr for very nice stainless welding. i would say 1 hour tops. the last option: get to be friends with an experienced weldor.

im gonna have my friend weld it for me.

i was thinking of putting 30 psi in it to test it.

ive seen corny's for 25 bucks around here, and the welding should be free.

Back