shortcuts for cleaning keg lines?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

warndogg

Reaction score
Hey HBT community looking for some shortcuts or tips on cleaning my keg lines. I've always just pushed about a 1/2 full corny keg of warm PBW through the system. Followed by warm tap water and then Starsan. Is there a shorter/faster way to clean my line?

No. The alternative is to physically disconnect the lines for cleaning, which you should probably do from time to time anyway to remove any serious gunge.

No. The alternative is to physically disconnect the lines for cleaning, which you should probably do from time to time anyway to remove any serious gunge.

Agreed! I usually do this between kegs and then about once every couple months a complete breakdown, depending upon the usage

Agreed! I usually do this between kegs and then about once every couple months a complete breakdown, depending upon the usage

Could you elaborate on that part? When you do the complete overhaul, how do you clean the lines more thoroughly? With a line brush (6'), using a high pressure pump, sponges, cleaning wads, or anything else?
Even a 1/4" line brush is a tight squeeze into a 3/16" beer line. It's all metal wire with very little brush. Plus there's the risk of scratching.

Of all cleaning processes I find cleaning tubing the hardest and most time consuming.

I saw on the GW Kent website ball-shaped line-cleaning sponges, but none at 3/16" or 1/4" though. The smallest is 3/8". I guess a razorblade could help make them fit...

Thanks for any insight.

Do you stick that sponge ball in and force PBW or something through the hose?

Also, is a PBW push from a corny in between kegs enough and then a full tear down maybe once every couple kegs enough?

I've attached a hose to an old cheap throwaway water bottle (16 oz) using a barb. The hose gets pushed into the faucet end and I manually depress the quick-disconnect end. It cost <$1 for hose and ~$1 for the double barb. Then I just put a hole in the bottle cap and pushed my barb through from the inside. The hose attached to the barb on the outside.

When a keg kicks, my process is as follows:
-Drain beer from line
-Flush line with full water bottle
-Fill line with PBW (~2 oz)
-Walk away for 10 minutes to 2 days
-Drain line
-Fill line with Starsan
-Drain line

At this point it's ready for a new keg. The physical part of the process is about 5 minutes of work, but you have the wait time while the cleaner and starsan are in the line. I've looked into a pressurized sprayer option and even considered the keg route. I've just found that my system is so easy and low tech that I like it :D

This is just a random picture but mine looks VERY similar:
image022.jpg

I've attached a hose to an old cheap throwaway water bottle (16 oz) using a barb. The hose gets pushed into the faucet end and I manually depress the quick-disconnect end. It cost <$1 for hose and ~$1 for the double barb. Then I just put a hole in the bottle cap and pushed my barb through from the inside. The hose attached to the barb on the outside.

When a keg kicks, my process is as follows:
-Drain beer from line
-Fill line with PBW (~2 oz)
-Drain line
-Fill line with Starsan
-Drain line

At this point it's ready for a new keg. The physical part of the process is about 5 minutes of work, but you have the wait time while the cleaner and starsan are in the line. I've looked into a pressurized sprayer option and even considered the keg route. I've just found that my system is so easy and low tech that I like it :D

This is just a random picture but mine looks VERY similar:

Good idea here I'll have to give it a try. Also I guess if I was to disassemble everything I may as well buy new tubing. Its cheap and less work than cleaning. Also tubing breaks down over time and I'm lazy!

I just wonder how the professionals do it? I'm sure that a bar owner doesn't let his lines set for 4 days.

I just wonder how the professionals do it? I'm sure that a bar owner doesn't let his lines set for 4 days.

Of course, ignore the "10 minutes..." part :rolleyes:

Besides, I'm a homebrewer, not a bar owner :p

IslandLizard said:
Could you elaborate on that part? When you do the complete overhaul, how do you clean the lines more thoroughly? With a line brush (6'), using a high pressure pump, sponges, cleaning wads, or anything else? Even a 1/4" line brush is a tight squeeze into a 3/16" beer line. It's all metal wire with very little brush. Plus there's the risk of scratching. Of all cleaning processes I find cleaning tubing the hardest and most time consuming. I saw on the GW Kent website ball-shaped line-cleaning sponges, but none at 3/16" or 1/4" though. The smallest is 3/8". I guess a razorblade could help make them fit... Thanks for any insight.

Basically I remove faucets, tubing, couplers, quick connects and soak everything in PBW, rinse, Star San and reassemble. If the tubing is discolored or needs replacing I replace it.

Basically I remove faucets, tubing, couplers, quick connects and soak everything in PBW, rinse, Star San and reassemble. If the tubing is discolored or needs replacing I replace it.

I find that just soaking or flowing PBW through the hoses may not clean them thoroughly. And not just the narrow keg lines, this includes racking tubes and hoses as well as wort hoses. If I have a choice, I prefer to send something with some friction down the line, to scrub the sides.

I've rigged my keg washer to recirculate cleaning solution through three lines at once. It's made cleaning alot easier for me.

I've heard on this forum of someone stuffing some wadding, like a cotton patch in to the line. Then hit it with co2 or compressed air. That will blow the wadding thru the line. Its soft enough to scrub the inside of the tube and not scratch it. Soak it with a little cleaner and send it thru. It's alot like cleaning a gun barrel. Just use a new patch until they come thru clean.

Hey HBT community looking for some shortcuts or tips on cleaning my keg lines. I've always just pushed about a 1/2 full corny keg of warm PBW through the system. Followed by warm tap water and then Starsan. Is there a shorter/faster way to clean my line?

Not sure if this is a shortcut or not but there are kits available, like this one, for cleaning beer lines. I've also seen other threads on the forum for less expensive DIY cleaning systems using parts from the hardware store.

Here's the most practical way I can figure. Get a small submersible pump, drop it into a bucket of PBW or BLC and connect the pump to your faucet spout. Remove the guts from your QD and drop it into the bucket. Now you can recirculate the cleaner, then the rinse, then starsan each for 15 minutes. I you have like 4 taps, it would be cool to make a manifold with a few plastic hose tees so you can feed into all the faucets at the same time.

I keep a keg of blc solution and a keg of star san. After a keg blows, I flush with blc. Wait a half hour or so. Flush again. Then run the star san. Then I rebuild the faucet. I have Done this on my three tap system for 4 years. Everything looks and tastes fine. Though I think I am due to do a line change.

Back