Short vertical space

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Kaz15

Reaction score
I'm sure this question has been asked before, but for those of you who are short on vertical distance for the hops to grow. What do you do when the beast tops out? Do you have a strategy for managing the bines or just let them do whatever they please?

Till now, I've always had the luxury of training laterally. I also have some plants with over 20 feet to work with.

My 2nd year Hartwick plant has reached the top of it's roughly 10' lines and I'm planning to train them laterally. Just curious if that's really necessary? In future years if I'm traveling or too busy to bother training, what might the end result be?

Here's a picture. I trained 6 bines, which is more than I typically do, in order to limit the total length. This plant is advertised as being a monster.

F7809D2E-975E-4D84-A9D9-A1100CB6FFD2.jpeg

I normally let them do whatever but given how close they are to your house you might want to cut them back if they get too out of control. If not they'll start growing into you siding, wrap around your dish, etc.

I normally let them do whatever but given how close they are to your house you might want to cut them back if they get too out of control. If not they'll start growing into you siding, wrap around your dish, etc.

Thanks for the reply. Fortunately we don’t use directv. So I’m actually looking forward to them covering the dish. :)

That is very cool. It looks like when they hit the top they just kind of balloon out. I’m guessing they still produce well.

Im struggling to even get decent growth, but if i do, i'll probably rig up a zig zag twine all the way to the top of the "trellis"

When it goes too high, I take the creeper and I put it back on the structure or I wind it with another, so I limit the verticality

Back