Short maturation

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mkptym

Reaction score
I've been asked to make a beer at short notice - 2 freaking weeks?

Which variety of beer will taste the least awful after such a short time period? I'm thinking maybe a light wheat bear perhaps? Any suggestions?

I realise that. If however I decided to go ahead with it, which beer would be the closest to reasonable?

bottling...
i'm getting the impression this isn't a good idea

Bottle conditioning is a natural process that has it's own timeframe. The 3 weeks at 70 is the minimum it takes for an average beer to be carbed, not necessarily conditioned.

Go buy some nice micros, and tell your friends that you respect them too much to serve them beer that is not 100% at it's best yet.

We get variations of this all the time, someone wanting to rush the process so people at a party or gathering can taste the beer....And we usually tell them the same thing...BUY BEER, or bing something else...they will survive, but your cred as a brewer may NOT if you serve them green beer.

It does noone any good, whether they are knowlegable about homebrew or just like MBC's to serve them green, or sub par beers.

If you are serving green, yeasty, and nasty tasting beer to people who have never tasted homebrew then they won't understand..what it's supposed to taste like....

They will think that EITHER you suck as a brewer, ALL HOMEBREW SUCKS (and you'll prolly go blind anyway) or those BMC commercials were right, anything other than fizzy yellow beer, especially homebrew taste like a$$, and we should stick to bud light..."THat's what TV says, so it must be true, right?"

You won't be a great ambassador to the world of homebrewing beer you tried to rush through....and saying "Heh, it's just green, and not fully carbed yet, it will get better with time, really won't fly to someone who drinks bud with their born on dates."

:mug:

Most wheat beers can be drinkable in that amount of time. If fermentation is quick, it can be done in 3 or 4 days. That gives you 10 days in the bottle to carbonate. Will it be the best it possibly can be? No, but it'll be drinkable.

That is provided that everything goes perfect. Yeast are unpredictable creatures.

Most wheat beers can be drinkable in that amount of time. If fermentation is quick, it can be done in 3 or 4 days. That gives you 10 days in the bottle to carbonate. Will it be the best it possibly can be? No, but it'll be drinkable.

That is provided that everything goes perfect. Yeast are unpredictable creatures.

Yeah, but if there's a 72 hour lag time before the yeast even starts fermenting, then the 3-4 days equation is out the window.

Latest posts

Back