Saison Shipwrecked Saison

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Looks good to me!

I forgot to mention that I made my own candi sugar for this batch, first time doing so:

20161127_124750.jpg

20161127_155838.jpg

Brewed this today, rounded up the numbers so it was easier to weigh
9lbs pils
3 lbs wheat
0.5lb vienna

Left out the candi sugar so its not as strong
Used belle saison yeast slurry from a previous batch

I used Saaz and EK Goldings...it will taste different for sure but I ran out of time to get anything else

OG: 1.059

Opened the bucket to test the gravity (1.003-ish) and it smelled like sulphur... is this a common thing with belle saison? I have never smelled it before :confused:

Edit: read into it and apparently Belle Saison is a "prodigious sulfur producer"
http://www.themadfermentationist.com/2014/06/american-saison-reimagining-farmhouse.html

So I accidentally left a batch of this in the fermenter for like 6 months. Just bottled it yesterday and curious to see how it comes out. Tasted it pre-bottle and it seemed okay, but maybe I was just being optimistic. Any thoughts on what off-flavors to look for?

Also - my FG was super low right at about 1.000

Brewed this today, rounded up the numbers so it was easier to weigh
9lbs pils
3 lbs wheat
0.5lb vienna

Left out the candi sugar so its not as strong
Used belle saison yeast slurry from a previous batch

I used Saaz and EK Goldings...it will taste different for sure but I ran out of time to get anything else

OG: 1.059
Brewed 11/28
I should probably transfer this batch now...oops...

keg vs bottle...which do people prefer for this recipe? I'm leaning towards keg because I'm lazy :D

Looks like a good recipe as the weather warms up here in TX. My house doesn't get below 76 in the summer. Is the acid malt solely for PH adjustment based on your water profile, or is it a flavor component as well?

I think this is going to be my next brew. I've been wanting to try my had at a Saison. I see a few vendors have 3726 on hand. Time to place an order.

Looks like a good recipe as the weather warms up here in TX. My house doesn't get below 76 in the summer. Is the acid malt solely for PH adjustment based on your water profile, or is it a flavor component as well?

PH adjustment

I brewed a slightly modified version of this about a week and a half ago. Extract for I used Ultra light LME- 6 lbs, Vienna malt- 1lb, and Belgian candy 1 lb. My saaz I got was a low 2.6% AA, so I put 1 oz at 15 and 1 oz at 10 mins. Willamette at 60. I used WLP3711 and after a week it was down to 1.008 from the starting gravity of 1.062. I used a heating blanket to get the temp over 80 for 4 days after a few days in the high 60's and 70's.
I checked the gravity last night and it was at 1.007 @ 66 degrees. Is 2 weeks too early to bottle this guy, if it's steady at 1.007? Should I bring it down to the basement where it's in the 50's for a few days to clear before bottling, or will that not be necessary?
Now comes time for the priming question. Does the temperature you input into NB priming calculator mean the actually temp adding the priming sugar, or the temp it will be carbonation. Ex. If it's 58 in the basement, and I carbonate at 66, which temp should I use?
I am thinking of going for 2.8 volumes because I'm going to be using bombers, and a few 12 oz for give out.
Can't wait to try this one!

So I think I'll leave this for another week since it's dropped to 1.006.

Still have the question about the temperature. Since it was fermenting in the 80's (not sure of the exact temp) do I input that or one of these other ones?
I have not used it before and don't remember reading about it when I first got into homebrewing 5 years ago. I've been kind of guestimating all my priming sugar amounts!

There is a lot of controversy regarding the temperature for basing the priming sugar. Most things I have read say that you should use the temp the beer fermented at. That is what I go by and have had good results.

Thanks, I probably should have taken a real temp when it was fermenting really warm!

I was contemplating using a peach flavoring when I was digging through some bags of flavoring/ additives etc, and found an unused bottle of peach flavoring. I am thinking do 3 gallons of plain saison, and 2 gallons of the peach saison...

Anyone use any flavorings in this? I think the peach could mix well with everything.

Brewing this now. Only change is yeast will be 3711 French Saison, I want this down to 1.00 when done! :mug:

Quick question for veteran brewers of this recipe. I brewed it on Friday (hit 1.060 :ban:)and pitched Belle Saison at 70 deg. Let it go for a day and then raised the temp to a balmy 90 deg. Obviously the yeast went crazy for four days but has now slowed way down (1 blub every 30-45 seconds). I know that this is in no way a scientific measure of fermentation progress but it certainly tells me that it isn't finished yet. Here's the rub, the recipe says 1 week at 90 but I'm leaving on vacation tomorrow (day 5) and won't be back until Tuesday (day 10). Should I turn down my temp control before I leave or let it ride for an extra 3 or 4 days? I know that active fermentation of this strain can handle the high temps but when they finish up and go dormant will the 90 degrees do damage and give me off flavors?

Is everyone still fermenting 3726 at 90F even though Wyeast seems to have lowered the top end of the temp range to 84F? I am still ramping up from last Friday's brew and I am at 85F. Just curious if I should keep going or stop?

Brewing this now. Only change is yeast will be 3711 French Saison, I want this down to 1.00 when done!

Is everyone still fermenting 3726 at 90F even though Wyeast seems to have lowered the top end of the temp range to 84F? I am still ramping up from last Friday's brew and I am at 85F. Just curious if I should keep going or stop?

I just did my first batch of Dupont / WY3726 / WLP565 saison (used 565). Open fermented for first week with a towel over the bucket. temp at 73F, and moved up to 83F 1deg/day.

Finished at 1.004, nice character, very mild phenol. Actually finished 1 point dryer than the 3711 / belle / French saison fermenter that I split between.

Hotter the better :mug: I wouldn't hesitate one bit to get it to the mid-80s. Good luck!

LoloMT7,

I just brewed this 4 days ago, pitching 3726 at 72F. How many degrees per day do you recommend ramping the temp up? After 3 days I am at 81, but I fear I have been too aggressive. Any thoughts at this point? Keep at 81F for the remainder or still ramp 1 degree/day to get to mid-80s?

I had full intentions of brewing a Leffe Clone, but my WLP530 never took off in my starter after 48 hours. So I pulled a 17 month old jar of 3726 slurry out of the fridge and added it to the starter. By morning it was going to town. So I tweaked my grain bill and brewed up a Shipwrecked Saison. It's been hanging out 11 days in the fermenter and it reached 90F today. I'll let it ride another week before I keg it.

Brewing this today. Thanks for the recipe. Only change is that they were out of a lot of hops at the LHBS so i'm doing straight up Saaz, and I made a slightly darker candi syrup. Looking forward to it.

First tasting notes: OG was 1.64 and FG was 1.007 for 7.5% ABV. Taste is on the dry side with medium body and carbonation. Nice lacing and head of foam.

First tasting notes: OG was 1.64 and FG was 1.007 for 7.5% ABV. Taste is on the dry side with medium body and carbonation. Nice lacing and head of foam.

I should also add, I fermented at 85F for just over 3 weeks. Very nice taste overall, 3726 gave the right amount of Belgian character. I will now store at 66F in my basement to see how the flavor evolves. If I was to make this again, I might aim for a pound less of malt, perhaps OG of 1.055 - 1.058. Cheers!

Brewed this with Cascade hops, no Candi sugar, and pitched a starter made from WLP 565 slurry (thanks, Keith!). OG 1.065 FG 1.008. Pitched at 70F then pushed to 75F after one day. The blowoff activity on this batch was off the charts for 2-3 days, and according to my Tilt hydrometer I was basically at FG by day 2. I ramped the temp to 85F and held it there for another week, then cold crashed and kegged, force carbed to 3 volumes.

This is a delicious beer! Thanks, @Channel66!

I should also add, I fermented at 85F for just over 3 weeks. Very nice taste overall, 3726 gave the right amount of Belgian character. I will now store at 66F in my basement to see how the flavor evolves. If I was to make this again, I might aim for a pound less of malt, perhaps OG of 1.055 - 1.058. Cheers!

IMG_2932.JPG

I don’t have my notes handy but I brewed this in May. A buddy accidentally ordered 55# of Pilsner crushed. So I bought 10# off him to help him use it up. I left out the sugar and upped the Pilsner to 10#. Still had and FG of 1.007 and an ABV of 6.5%. Still a nice Farmhouse Ale!

Great recipe. My batch turned out wonderfully. I skipped the Candi sugar addition, and used Cascade hops. This is it after a few weeks in the keg. I plan to try it to my nitro faucet once the porter on that line kicks.

6YYJv0U.jpg

First of all thanks to the OP, Channel66, for a great recipe! I made Shipwrecked 3 years ago and it was one of my best beers ever. I just doubled this recipe 2 days ago, used dextrose instead of Candi sugar because I have 50 pounds of it. Hallertau for bitter and Saaz for aroma. Used 2 T citric acid instead of acid malt. Ended up with 15 gallons at 1.052 OG, and my big fermenters are full so decided to experiment with yeast as follows:
5 gallons with Wyeast 3711 French Saison,
5 gal with Lallmand Belle Saison
5 with Lallemand Abaye

I did no chill in corny kegs then transfered to fermenter yesterday. Pitched yeast at 65 F. Room is at 70 now, ramping it up to 80 for a couple days. I meant to pitch at a higher temp but oh well.....
IMG_20210118_084414.jpg
IMG_20210118_084428.jpg

The Abbaye yeast is the most aggressive so far, followed by Belle Saison, then 3711. This pic is from last night. This morning the krausen has dropped on Abbaye, 36 hours after pitch
IMG_20210118_201245.jpg

I’ve been skimming through and can’t seem to find a water profile. Anyone have any suggestions if I am building up from distilled water?

I’ve been skimming through and can’t seem to find a water profile. Anyone have any suggestions if I am building up from distilled water?
I think I used Bru'N water yellow-balanced profile iirc.

Similarly I rely on the color profiles in Bru'n Water for most of my saisons. I know the Hill Farmstead/SARA softer profile is more common in craft brewing these days but I still lean towards a more bitter profile and use the yellow bitter profile. Most of my saisons are brett'd and I think those benefit from a longer bittering sensation. Yellow balanced is a good starting point for water profile though (it's also where I started).

DBA31647-4E2B-48EF-A5C3-24780E764B77.jpeg
Brew turned out great, used a lighter candi syrup, fermented with belle saison which brought it down to about 1.000 from 1.063, this beer really packs a punch but quite refreshing.

Going for attempt #2 tomorrow with this recipe, the first attempt ended in a stuck mash and just couldnt manage to get it to work out. Adding 1# of rice hulls this time

Hi at all!!!
I'm an italian homebrewer!
Can i ask you something about this recipe? I've seen that Clint Nissen is out of this forum...can i ask you?

Back