Shipping yeast - Xray fears

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

64stangman

Reaction score
hey guys.

I'm curious to know if any of you have had any luck, horror stories, or just good advice on shipping yeasts internationally?

My main concerns are with the xray scans it may undergo. I've heard mutations occur and thus bad fermentation/floculation. I unfortunately live in a part of the world where my local home brew shop carries two strains of lager.

Side note - I've heard companies like fedex and DHL might be able to transport these products differently, not sure. Looking into this myself.

Thanks,
~Matt

When I travelled internationally I used a lead lined bag for my camera film. I don't see why you could not use such a bag for yeast.

You need to talk to some one at Fed Ex or DHL.

With in the US I would be more worried about heat
This time of year, yeast sitting in a delivery truck, a dark brown delivery truck
it can easily get over 100F inside

I know that Fed Ex can ship 'dry ice' but that falls under very special shipping
i.e. hazardous materials
thus will become VERY expensive !

I would not ship yeast in the summer cross country let alone internationally. Dry yeast excluded. Why not just use dry yeast?

dry yeast is a given. Im waiting now for a reply from fedex - I'll post their answer. As far as the led bag goes, that may be a neat idea...

fedex says :"we cannot transport anything living!" seems a bit fishy...

I guess we'll ship regular "snail mail" and see what happens. I'll make a 1 gal test run and check the attenuation - maybe I'll see giant mutations!!! haha

Back